(Closed) 5 o’clock in the afternoon or 5 o’clock in the evening?

posted 10 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
378 posts
Helper bee

Dang it! I went with five-thirty in the evening. Grrr. Thanks for the info!

Post # 4
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

this is so funny b/c i went through the same ordeal when printing my invites. im also getting married at 5pm and was confused about afternoon or evening. but i went with 5 o’clock in the afternoon. glad i made the right choice. thanks for sharing!

Post # 5
133 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

LOL  I thought I was the only one.  A confession – we changed the time of the ceremony so I wouldn’t have to pick, ours is now at 4pm.  🙂  I asked my grandmother about it when we were planning and she said something different that I thought was a good point:

Even though 5pm is technically afternoon, there’s a certain "air" that goes with afternoon or evening.  If you’re on the fence, go with the feeling of your wedding.  Afternoon usually implies more casual, where evening usually implies more formal.

Just my (and her) two cents!

Post # 6
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Triciaj – this is so true.  Our wedding is at 4:30, our reception at 5:30, and both are at the country club.  I have had several people call since sending the Save-The-Date Cards to ask about formality of dress, since in their opinion the wedding was afternoon and the reception evening, and the country club could go either formal or casual, and so they were confused.  Apparently if we had gone with a more clearly afternoon or evening time, it would be more apparent.  And I know I would certainly dress differently for an "afternoon" event than an "evening" one.

Post # 8
67 posts
Worker bee

I had the same debate for weeks! we are putting 430 in the afternoon, but our wedding is at 5. you know people love to push it, this way they get to relax and have a glass of champagne before the ceremony. But you are right 6pm is the beginning of evening.

The topic ‘5 o’clock in the afternoon or 5 o’clock in the evening?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors