(Closed) 5 Rules That Will Instantly Fix Every Wedding Problem You Have

posted 8 years ago in Logistics
Post # 77
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

@oneofthesethings:  Ho hum… this is my two cents…

1. Not everyone has to be there. Sure. But some people have big families, and elderly relatives who would love to see them get married before they die. Who are you to say that they should leave these people off the guest list? Weddings are all about family, and there’s a difference between the mad lady who wants to invite the guy who services her car and the family oriented bride who wants her terminally ill Great Ungle George to be at her wedding.

2. “You should not cook your own wedding food (if you expect the guests to actually eat.)…. Seriously, hire professionals.” This is more a comment on your personal cooking skills than anyone else’s! Some people are extremely good cooks, and some so called professionals are ****. My cousin made his own cake and cupcakes and they were AMAZING. I’m making my own buffet, cake and cupcakes because I honestly think that unless I paid a really top caterer to do it (and paid top dollar) then they couldn’t do any better than me. That sounds vain, but I’m a realist as to what I can and cannot do. On the flipside, I went to one wedding where they had silver service and the food was horrible. If I was the bride, and that was my menu, I would have cooked the lot two days before, frozen it, and got my friends to heat it up on the day. It would have honestly been a lot nicer.

3. “If every day brings another problem with your Future Mother-In-Law, your mom, bridesmaids, and/ or vendors, the problem is you.  You’re a Bridezilla and you need to chill the F out.” Have you ever heard the old adage that sometimes they really are after you? Sure, there are some crazy bridezillas out there, but there are also people with alcoholic parents, terminally ill siblings, venues which lie to you, impose extra charges or go bankrupt, and bridesmaids who are wholly unreasonable. Some people have tough lives… read the boards here for some examples!

4. “You get one wedding.  Not a quicky courthouse wedding, followed by a “real” wedding a month or a year later.” I’m not doing this either, but some people just want a nice party for their friends and relatives to enjoy. Why is that selfish? Everyone knows that the reception is really for the guests, right?

5. “There is no “great venue with a view” at a “reasonable price”.” Yes there is! Lots of people find this. You just have to look harder! And as to paying for excellence… sometimes excellence is cheap or free, sometiimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you pay for diamonds and get glass. That’s life!

And as to the idea that this post will solve any problems you have… allow me to share a few of mine…

– I have a mentally ill mother.

– We are having a few “differences of religion” issues.

– We are having procedural issues with the Catholic church.

Your post doesn’t seem to fix any of those…

Post # 79
4428 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

View original reply
@romantical:  lmfao this post is Fing great!!!! or im just up too late XD

Post # 80
649 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
@StuporDuck:  She did call people “selfish jerks,” which is uncalled for. 

Post # 81
1281 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think this post is aimed at the women who just have completely unrealistic,  and often self-indulgent expectations, and I get that.  Unfortunately, for the OP I think that percentage, at least on the Bee,  is only about 10%. 

Hopefully that 10% sees this post!  As for the other 90%?  Looks like you’ve ruffled a few feathers. 

Post # 82
1151 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@Bebealways:  +1! You are totally not a jerk!

Post # 83
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Why is everyone getting so teary eyed over this post? I thought there were some good points and I laughed at the humor in them. I think #2 could work out but probably rarely. That’s why they have that funny cake wrecks site! I don’t see how this is different than any post saying pick ups are awful or cash bar is rude. They are opinions ladies and I don’t think those are against the rules here.

Post # 85
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

View original reply
@Chrysoberyl:  except that is the OP’s opinion. She did not call out any members by name, therefore, she didn’t “attack” anyone. She merely expressed an opinion that a lot of people apparently don’t like. Much like saying she doesn’t like cash bars or honeymoon registries. It’s an opinion, not a personal attack.

But those calling her rude, a bitch, and saying “I’m flagging this” actually are all in violation of the TOS. 

But then again, I thought what the OP said was funny and true for the most part. 

Post # 86
13953 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

View original reply
@rubybride718:  Agreed.

I agree with many of the seniments in the OP.  There are some unrealistic expectations, and I think a lot of them have to do with the sheer shock of how much time/effort/money goes into planning a wedding, plus the desire to celebrate with all your friends and family.  A 300 person guest list on a $5k budget is incredibly difficult, if not impossible.  But while I agree with many of the sentiments, I think there are actual credible exceptions to each of those posts that could effectively counter them (the military brides definitely handled #4 to a T!). 

I don’t know if OP was trying to be helpful or funny or what, but I doubt it was malicious. 

Post # 87
751 posts
Busy bee

@oneofthesethings:  I totally agree with number 1. 

And number 4. Many people have suggested that we should do one wedding in Europe and another in the states. Or for example when we thought our easiest visa route was the k1 so we had to get married in the US my parents suggested we get legally married in the us and then do the real wedding in Europe…

I don’t see the point of spending  20 thousand euros or more on a fake wedding….

Post # 89
331 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Beautiful, Beautiful venue with a View.  I payed 375 to rent it.  I disagree with 95 percent of this post, by the way. 

Post # 90
751 posts
Busy bee

@oneofthesethings:  I think one of the reasons why some brides go crazy is because they seriously think that their wedding day will be the “happiest of their lives” and it’s what they have been dreaming about since they were little girls.

Also some people are just perfectionists!

Post # 91
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

I agree with 3, but only because no bride should add the stress of cooking her own food or cake!

I hired “pros”, as in Costco and 2 girls who bake in their kitchen lol

I still enjoyed this post though!

Post # 92
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2014

View original reply
@everalwaysrealtrue:  is that a venue or an outdoor location? When I hear venue I think the actual building that houses your reception.

The topic ‘5 Rules That Will Instantly Fix Every Wedding Problem You Have’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors