• poll: do you prefer 5 stone vs 7 stone wedding band
    5 stone : (8 votes)
    47 %
    7 stone : (9 votes)
    53 %
  • Post # 2
    1162 posts
    Bumble bee

msc08 :  I think it depends on what look you are going for.  I have an eternity band that is 8 pointer’s and I also have a 5 stone that has 20 pointer’s.  I wear a size 8 and the 5 stone fits comfortably on my finger without getting in the way of the adjacent fingers. I could probably fit one more stone but it is still quite a blingy look.  For your finger size, I think anything over 1 carat in a 5 stone will be rubbing on your adjacent fingers. You could probably even go down to .75 carats but it depends on how ‘blingy’ the look is that you want.  My 5 stone ring does not look like a half eternity band on the finger. 

Post # 3
    27 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: December 2013

I have a 5 stone ring that totals 1 ctw so I think it’s what you’re looking for. I chose the 5 stone on your poll because im a little biased I own one too!

Ring size is 4.25

Please excuse my short stubby fingers! 

Post # 4
    194 posts
    Blushing bee

I have a 1.85ct round brilliant solitaire (7.87 mm) on a size 5.5 finger.  I originally wanted a 5 stone 1ctw (.20 each) band to pair with it, but found it too overwhelming for my e-ring and didn’t like how high it sat or the large gap.  I ultimately went with a custom 7 stone .84 ctw (.12 each) with no airline to keep it as low as possible.  Pics are below.  As far as rubbing aganst your finger, obviously the bigger the diamonds, the more likely the band will rub on your fingers, but you can request that the diamonds in the band be set as low as possible with no airline and that the prongs be very smooth.  Another thing you will want to avoid is the band rubbing the prongs of your e-ring, especially if your e-ring setting is low like mine.  Even my 7 stone with .12 diamonds can rub the prongs of my e-ring, so I usually wear a thin spacer in between (I have several I switch between).  With your small finger size, I would think a 7 stone with .10 ct diamonds would give you great finger coverage and be low enough.  You could go to local jewelery stores (Tiffany usually has lots of options) and ask to try on 1.5-1.7 ct solitaires with their stock bands to get and some ideas.  Since you are going custom, the jeweler doing the work should be able to provide you with CADs and opinions. Hope This Helps and GL!

5 stone, 1ctw, .20 each

Upgrade5Stone

7 stone, .84 ctw, .12 each

Upgrade7Stone

7 stone with Blue Nile’s Riviera .5 ctw eternity band as a spacer:

EringStack

7 stone with thinner (approx 1.7mm) half eternity as spacer:

Upgrade7StoneSpacer

Post # 5
    434 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2018

msc08 :  I have a 7 stone ring but I honestly have not idea the carat weight of it (never thought about it before) at first I thought it was too many stones since the end two are half covered by my other fingers but now that I’ve had it for over 6 months I’m so happy that it has the look of an infinity without the extra cost. 

Post # 8
    2 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: April 2020

My engagment ring is a (scroll for photos) 5 Stone 14K White Gold and 1.5 carats, and my wedding band is 1 carat making my set a TCW of 2.5. They did not come as a set, but both were purchased from Michael Hill.

I went back and forth between the 7 stone and the 5 stone for months and decided that I would prefer 5 bigger, flashier diamonds then 7 smaller, less attention grabbing ones  I definitley do not regret my decision, as if I had went with the 7 stone they wouldn’t even show, and would be sitting on the sides wrapping around my finger, meaning I would’ve payed for diamonds that I cannot see, and are irritating the sides of my fingers.

MY ADVICE: If you are reading this deciding what band you should go with- when trying on bands at your chosen ring spot, they will all be a standard large size, so when trying them on with your engagement ring they won’t fit the same as they will once they are sized to you. Ask the salesperson how the diamonds will wrap around your finger once it is sized… if they tell you it’s going to go around your finger (as the 7 would my finger), then avoid it. It will clash with your ring and irritate you (trust me, every women has admitted so). Now for a women with a wider set finger I would recommend the 7 stone, as a 5 stone would sit center on their finger and show plain, bland band on the side and not give a nice full diamond effect.

Post # 9
    114 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 1969 - Montsalvat, Victoria

My band is a 5 stone, the diamonds are .5 carat each so 2.5 carats in total. My advice is 100% the 5 stone. When I tried the 7 stone because the two other diamonds kept rubbing against my pinky and middle fingers and it felt really irritating. Best of luck!

Post # 11
    114 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 1969 - Montsalvat, Victoria

naturalbee18 :  thanks 😊 my engagement ring is 2.7 carat round, F colour, VS1 or VS2 (I forget which sorry!). 

Post # 13
    480 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2019 - Southampton, UK

Here’s my 7 stone ring, 15 points each.

Post # 14
    638 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

I have a full eternity band (spinning) so I can’t help you with 7 vs 5 stone. I just wanted say that I wished I had gone smaller with the stone size. I find that they already are taking away from the ering. It makes me sad. 

I think mine are about 9-10 pointers and you can see about 8 on top before they reach the neighboring fingers. Ring size 5.5 I’d that helps  

Post # 15
    194 posts
    Blushing bee

MiaSuperstar :  I don’t think any band can take away attention from that rock! Its gorgeous!!–I think you could’ve even gone a little bigger on the band since your e ring is so big!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors