5 week ultrasound at 6+2 ?

posted 3 months ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
5147 posts
Bee Keeper

hayleybee :  You could have ovulated later than you originally thought.  That’s what happened to me in all three of my pregnancies.  The first I was just a few days behind what I thought I was.  The second pregnancy was more than week, and I ended up miscarrying (blighted ovum).  The third pregnancy a few days again and I am now well into the third trimester of this pregnancy.  I am hoping for the best when you see your doctor again! 

Post # 4
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

hayleybee :  I sat and analyzed your dates and looked at a calendar for a long time, and honestly, I would be concerned.  If the only 2 times of unprotected sex were 5/17 and 5/28, it couldn’t have been the 5/28 sex that got you pregnant because you wouldn’t have gotten a positive pregnancy test on 6/2, no matter how faint.  4dpo is just not possible.  So it had to have been the 5/17 sex that got you pregnant, which means you ovulated no later than 5/22, or maaaaaybe 5/23 at the very latest.  So that would put you at LEAST 6 weeks on 6/20.  

The only thing I’m wondering is what exactly they told you to suggest that it was consistent with a 5-week ultrasound?  I’m not sure what the difference between a 5-week and a 6-week ultrasound is, but I know I had an ultrasound at 5+4 and they only saw a sac, then another at 6+4 and they saw a heartbeat, and that ended up being a healthy pregnancy and baby.  So if it’s just the absence of a heartbeat that’s making them say it’s a 5-week ultrasound, then I don’t think you have anything to worry about.  But I’m not sure how closely they’re able to date it at that point (5+2 vs 5+5, etc).  Sorry I kind of rambled.  Hopefully that made sense.  

Post # 5
3988 posts
Honey bee

I can’t help much with the dates (I don’t know much about that stuff, honestly), but I went in for an ultrasound when I thought I was about 6+2….I measured around 5+3 instead. I’m sure I know the conception date (within like, 3 days) but the tech did not seem bothered. She said I could have ovulated or implanted later than I thought.

At the ultrasound there was the gestational sac but you couldn’t see much else. Like, a small speck but not even enough to be sure where the fetal pole was. She said it was normal. I’ve since had two more ultrasounds and have measured pretty much exactly where I should have (even ahead a few days at my last one). The tech said that while there’s pretty standard measurements for how much the embryo/fetus grows each day, it’s not always exact. Did your doctor measure the sac and give you dates, or just say it looked to be about 5 weeks? It sounds like you’re right about the GS and GA- maybe he clicked around and did two separate measurements and that’s what you’re seeing (the 5+2 vs the 6+0)?

Post # 6
312 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I got told that the gestational sac is really difficult/inaccurate to measure, have you booked a follow up scan? 

Post # 7
320 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

When I went in at 6 weeks they dated me at 5. I am positive when we conceived, so I didn’t agree with the change, but the doc didn’t care lol. They used my dating scan for the rest of my pregnancy. Ironically, my water broke 40 weeks to the day of the date I know we conceived, so in the end I was right lol. 

Post # 11
1632 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

At my 7 week scan I was measuring nearly a week behind, my 9 week scan only 2 days behind and my 11 week I was measuring a day ahead, the radiographer actually changed my due date to 1 day ahead, it can change so much in a matter of weeks! 🙂 

Post # 12
3988 posts
Honey bee

hayleybee :  Glad to help 🙂 Just to clarify though, the dates didn’t “catch up” later. When I measured at 5+3, I used that as my new progress date, so I essentially backtracked and was 5 weeks pregnant “again”. Every ultrasound after that matched up where I thought I should be though- I went in 3 weeks after and measured 8 weeks, and then last week I went in when I was 13+5 and I measured around 14. It’s not always perfectly exact. Right now I’m counting myself as 14+3, but going by my last missed period, I’d be 15 and a few, since I’m “behind” where I originally thought. Make sense?

(And not saying you can’t “catch up” later, it’s just that for me I’m pretty sure I must have just ovulated or implanted a little later than I thought….but the LMP thing assumes perfect 28 day cycles with ovulation on the 14th day).

Post # 13
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

hayleybee :  I tried to edit my post and it disappeared!  Then tried to repost once and it wouldn’t work.  I quit then since I didn’t want it to end up posting 15 times haha.  Sounds like you’ve gotten really good advice though, and with those other measurements where one says 6+0 I think you’re totally fine!  That’s a pain that you have to wait til 8 weeks for another scan though!  I would be so anxious.  But I’m an over-worrier.  🙂  Hopefully you start feeling symptoms (if you haven’t yet) to reassure you!  

Post # 14
8016 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

i day can make a huge difference in development that early.

you don’t know exactly when you ovulated so it is possible all is ok.

spotting is ok early too.

by 6w you should be able to see hb on a ultrasound.

both my pregnancies are IVF and they wouldn’t schedule first ultrasoun before 6 weeks.  but i always knew exactly when conception occurred.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors