(Closed) 5 weeks out and still unsure/disagree whether to postpone destination wedding

posted 2 weeks ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 46
153 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

There is a very real possibility that someone could die from the event your fiance is determined to host. If not one of your family/friends, then someone in the destination country. 

Post # 47
4548 posts
Honey bee

Hosting a destination super spreader event is just horrible for so many reasons. Not to mention, how will you feel if your health-compromised father or another guest catches covid at your dream wedding and dies?

Post # 48
452 posts
Helper bee

I think your heart wants the wedding, but your head knows it’s irresponsible.

The thing is, the risk this event creates doesn’t just concern the consenting adults that know the risks of travel. If they get sick they’re also putting everyone else they come in contact with in danger, including strangers in public.

Personally, my biggest fear isn’t just that I’ll get sick from covid, it’s that I’ll get covid and unknowingly pass it on to many people and/or a high risk person that will die because of my actions.

Post # 49
13785 posts
Honey Beekeeper

View original reply
@Scivore:  Oh yes? Ask him if he knows that doctors say that even in asymptomatic Covid cases X rays of the lungs are worse than in any smoker’s. Tell him to look it up. 

Post # 50
3090 posts
Sugar bee

So, I was chatting with a work colleague yesterday.  Her sister and Brother-In-Law decided things were safe enough to pop down to a resort Mexico for a little vacation.  A few days after coming back, they started feeling sick… and 2 days ago they tested positive for COVID.  

They thought it couldn’t happen to them. 

Post # 51
1237 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 1983

Have you thought about what it will be like spending your life with someone whose response to bad things possibly happening is to decide they won’t happen? You will get to be the permanent gloom-monger and realist and he will argue with or just deny anything he doesn’t want to happen…. 

Post # 52
10299 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

View original reply
@Scivore:  

I have already   said what I think is best to do, but I feel I must add to a pps concern that responding to the possibility of catching and,  worse, spreading  a potentially deadly disease with “optimism” ( you really need to stop framing it this way, imho)  is a worry. As a pp says , it makes him sound a fun and carefree sort and you a doom merchant when in fact he is behaving like an irresponsible ostrich  – and you aren’t.   

Post # 53
Hostess
4852 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

View original reply
@weddingmaven:  Yep.  One of my healthy, mid-20s friends had a very mild case of Covid back in March of last year and now has some pretty severe health issues that may never go away.  She randomly cannot feel her limbs at times (happend while driving and she could barely pull over in time), is on blood pressure medication, and is so tired she can barely function some days.  Not worth it to me at all.  

Post # 54
3090 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@missinthecity:  Oh, how awful!  Your poor friend!  

I have relatives who are overly focused on the death rate as the only COVID metric/statistic that matters, and they are in total denial about the longterm/permanent, systemic damage and health issues that are affecting many COVID survivors.  It scares me to think of the long term public health crisis we’ll be facing for the next few decades.

Post # 55
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: City, State

Eat the $10k cost. Put on your dress and hubby put on his suit and Go to the courthouse or get a justice of the peace in your backyard. Get the family on zoom to watch it live. Have a photographer or friend to take pics. Have some drinks and order in a fancy supper. And move on and start your family ! Sorry but that’s the only way I see it in today’s crazy world. Maybe next year you can have a big reception where everyone can get together. You can always do a destination vow renewal in a few years hopefully by then things are back to normal! 

Post # 56
530 posts
Busy bee

Im not sure what the rules are in the US but in Canada you have to self isolate for 2 weeks upon return and have X ammount if covid tests.  Personally for me just due to this theres no way I could go – I just couldnt afford 3 weeks off work.

I would 100% cancel personally.  See if they can hold your deposit for a new date in a year or two.

Post # 57
213 posts
Helper bee

Also being young and healthy means nothing.. there are many kids, young adults and totally healthy people dying from this and getting severe lomg term consequences.

The young/healthy argument hasnt been valid since at least the summer when lots of poeple outside the senior age/at risk got severely ill/died

Post # 58
2800 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@missinthecity:  Jesus. I also have a friend who had “mild covid” … seemed to recover fully, then a month later after a workout landed in the E.R. with chest pains and shooting pain down her left arm. They said her bloodwork looked like that of a 50 year old man with heart disease. She was hospitalized for 24 hours and now has to wear a heart tracking device. The doctors said they’re seeing this a lot with patients who had COVID in the past. She is 30 years old, healthy weight, no underlying conditions…

Post # 59
1801 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@breanne0b:  Also starting today you have to isolate for 72 hours in an isolation-hotel on your own dime for all incoming air travel!

Post # 61
3531 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

Imagine being racist enough to think that whether every single one of 20,000 immigrants were Covid tested was the biggest problem facing this country. Wowza. (What even is this ridiculous boogeyman story? The newest Fox News made up controversy, I’m guessing.)

The topic ‘5 weeks out and still unsure/disagree whether to postpone destination wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors