(Closed) 5 weeks pregnant and had a bleed yesterday

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 16
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

Mojito77:  Resting is a good idea, then! Last night I took Acetaminophen before bed and was able to sleep through the night. Maybe give that a try!

Post # 17
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Mojito77:  around 6 weeks or so, i woke up to period like cramps and bright red blood.  a sonogram revealed that i had a small subchorionic bleed and i was told to rest, drink lots of water, and not lift anything heavy.  within a week or two, the bleed resolved itself. 

Post # 18
300 posts
Helper bee

While spotting isn’t normal, it’s not abnormal either! I remember having brown spotting at 5 weeks and 6 weeks, then red spotting at 8 weeks and brown again around 11 weeks. Every time I was sure I was losing the baby but here I am at 35 weeks!

I remember reading that especially if you’ve been a bit constipated, it’s not that uncommon for the cervix to bleed a little because suddenly there’s so much more blood circulating around there and it’s quite sensitive right now. Also, my doctor told me not to worry about brown blood as its old blood and while it does mean you’re spotting a little bit, it’s not much at all as it doesn’t come out by itself when it’s still red. For what its worth, the first time I had a chemical pregnancy around 4-5 weeks, it took about four days from brown spotting until I saw any red blood.

If you’re really worried and want to be proactive about it, in my case I was given a referral for a scan which I had at 5w5d and they had no issues to see the heartbeat. Alternatively, blood tests confirming your hcg is at least doubling would also be helpful at 5 weeks in ruling out miscarriage. Also, make sure that the cramping is in the middle because otherwise you’d definitely want to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

Good luck, hopefully it all turns out well!

Post # 20
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Hugs! I hope it stops soon and it’s just a scare!

Post # 22
807 posts
Busy bee

Mojito77:  I’m 6+1 and had some brown spotting yesterday. I freaked out because thats how my CP started last cycle. I went and got an ultrasound today, and all was well! Dr. said your cervix is much more sensitive and can easily bleed. If you are concerned, try to contact your dr and see if they can get you betas. I pushed for betas, despite them tellling me it was okay, and was able to see tha the pregnancy wasn’t progressing. It sucked, but at least I knew. Thats why I was so proactive this time around! I drive myself crazy with worry, and I’d rather just know the truth.

Post # 24
3296 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - An amazing non-profit retreat

Mojito77:  Thinking of you. Rest up and be good to yourself. I had a small bleed at 9 weeks and it was scary, turned out to be absolutely nothing. Sometimes it just happens– embryo settling in for the long haul, a little bit of leftover tissue, a small anal tear (yup, gross!) 

Post # 25
9445 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Your doctor should test your HCG levels to see if they are rising. If you were indeed having a mc you should also have a rhogam shot if you are Rh-.

Post # 27
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Mojito77:  So sorry to hear about your loss.

Post # 28
1555 posts
Bumble bee

Mojito77:  I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope you are recovering well. Take care of yourself x

Post # 29
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I’m so sorry! 

Post # 30
47 posts
Newbee

Pollywog:  I second this, with my miscarriage I thought I started my period it was so much blood. 

The topic ‘5 weeks pregnant and had a bleed yesterday’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors