Post # 2
443 posts
Helper bee

Everyone loves a good party! Go ahead 😀

Post # 3
6554 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

Nicole1208: i wouldn’t throw an anniversary party. I think its a waste. The only person i want to celebrate my anniversary with is my husband. 

The only time i think anniversary parties are acceptable is when its a big milestone, 25, 30, 50 years and most of the time, someone throws the party for them, not the married couple

Thats my honest opinion.

Post # 4
5276 posts
Bee Keeper

Nicole1208:  Why not? People throw parties for a lot less! I don’t see why you couldn’t throw yourselves an anniversary party every year if you wanted to. As long as it’s on your dime, I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to go.

Post # 5
975 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

5 years seems a little early for a big celebration IMO but I think a 10 year could be Fun!! 

Post # 6
6869 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

I think it would work better a few more years down the road. most folks are pretty unimpressed with some other couple’s  5 year anniversary and might think you are fishing for attention.

Post # 7
7494 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

I wouldn’t. It seems attention-grabby at the very least. I only think it’s appropriate for 50th wedding anniversaries really.

Post # 8
632 posts
Busy bee

My bro and very nasty SIL had one, but it was for very selfish reasons. I think you could do it without the label. Like maybe it’s just a really great party because we love hosting?! We had our reception in a park, and had a response similar to yours. Maybe change the location to something more casual ( in my head it’s a reception venue)? I would go. I love parties 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Brook10.
Post # 9
1341 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Nicole1208:  Not tacky at all.  I am already thinking of our 5 year celebration and I’ve only been married since last May!  Go for it!

Post # 10
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Hmm, I don’t think some people would receive this idea that well.

Anniversaries like this should be more intimate celebrations, at least until you hit 10 years in my opinion. I would celebrate by taking a second honeymoon or something fun for just you two!

I am all for celebrating milestones and occasions, but this seems a little too soon. I haven’t heard of a 5 year anniversary party before, so maybe that’s why it seems off.

Post # 11
644 posts
Busy bee

Honestly,  I’d roll my eyes at someone that threw themselves a 5th anniversary party, especially if they held it at the same venue that their wedding reception was at. We’re you also planning on inviting all the same guests too?

Sorry, it just seems a bit over the top to me. 5 years is nothing.

Post # 12
6617 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2050

Nicole1208:  Inviting people over for dinner is a dinner party. Inviting people over for drinks is a cocktail party. Inviting people over to celebrate your 5th anniversary is an AW gift grab.

Post # 14
6869 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Nicole1208:  If all you want is a fun evening where the family gets together and celebrates, perhaps consider a New Years Eve party, night before Thanksgiving party, or one of the many other celebratory events that happen year-round. This way, you prevent any negative thoughts by your guests. While it is quite common for folks to say “that was the best wedding ever!!” that does not mean they would not find it a bit self-centered of you to throw an elaborate anniversary party for what is not a milestone anniversary.

I’d reckon the vast majority of your family members’ marriages made it past the 5 year mark with no huge celebration or public display.  Your marriage is no more awesome than theirs.

Post # 15
254 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

Even though you don’t want gifts I think people will still feel obligated to give you something.  I think you should just throw a big holiday party or have a big summer bash.  Then it just looks like you want to have a get-together.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors