5 Year Anniversary Party…thoughts?

posted 3 years ago in Married Life
Post # 31
862 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

Congratulations on making it 5 years! That’s awsome! However, if i received an invitation to a 5 year anniversary party i would be baffled. Everyone, friends, family, and coworkers have not stopped talking about how great our wedding was either, but you have to know they’re not going to tell you it’s horrible right? I mean i’ve been to several not so great weddings where we’ve had to go eat afterwards because their was either not enough food or the food was bad, but you can bet your butt i told those people we had a wonderful time and we loved their wedding!! I’m not saying you had a bad wedding i’m just saying keep in mind nobody will tell you your wedding was crap. In terms of gifts, i would indeed feel obligated to bring a gift of some kind. I think if you really want to have a party for your friends and family then hold it on or around another holiday. Labor day is coming up, have a labor day party. 

Post # 32
810 posts
Busy bee

Personally, all I’m seeing are responses of other people’s opinions about the party. screw what people think. Just emphasize no gifts and pay for it and I’m sure everyone will have a blast!

It’s not like it’s a bunch of randos. It’s friends and family! They’ll love spending time with you and celebrating with you.

In the event you do get a gift, I would say be very gracious and give a thank you card, maybe buy them a nice gift for the next holiday or offer to do something for them (But don’t treat it as payment). Does that make sense?

Congratulations!

Post # 33
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

A party for five years of marriage? I would roll my eyes so hard that they’d get stuck in the back of my head.

If you want a party, host one in somebody else’s honor or “just because”. Maybe consider startting a tradition of an annual themed party. (My friend’s parents have a tropical themed party every winter and it’s a huge hit.)

People are saying it’s attention grabby because it IS attention grabby. When you can party for literally any other reason, but have to make it about yourselves, I don’t know what else it would be interpreted as.

ETA: I didn’t realize how old this thread was. My statement still stands though. 😛 What the heck is with all of the newbies resurrecting old posts?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  lightchaser.
Post # 34
1 posts
Wannabee

What did you end up doing? My fifth is this year and want to do this as well!

Post # 35
1 posts
Wannabee

Yes, what did you do? I would also like to know as well?(: I am also planning on doing something on our 5th anniversary…I’m thinking of doing like a vow renewal, but through church since we didn’t get married through the church 

Post # 36
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

This user posted twice almost 6 years ago. She is not coming back to answer these questions lol. Read the rest of the thread and you will see that most people find this idea very attention-seeking. Also, this thread is 6 years old, so if you have questions about having an anniversarty party you should start a new one. 

Post # 37
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m having a anniversary party this year and it makes 5 years for me and my husband! And I could care less what anyone thinks! We have been through a lot in 5years. Every year is a blessing. I would be happy to celebrate with my friends/family for their anniversary! I don’t care if it was just 1 year! Just like when a kindergarten student  graduates and move to the 1st grade we don’t tell the child well it’s not a big accomplishment.. it’s not like your graduating from high school or college. No! We celebrate and we’re happy for their accomplishment! All the ladies throwing a 5year anniversary party I pray your party is a success and you have the time of your life!!!😘

Post # 39
2399 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

No it’s kinda creepy to go back to your reception venue have the whole dj etc. Just throw a random party getting everyone together 

Post # 40
2399 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

Sorry just realised how old this was…

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors