(Closed) 5 Year Old Shoots and Kills 2 Year Old Sister

posted 5 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
3170 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I think everyone should be able to have a gun if they want. BUT a 5 year old should never have or have access to a gun. I read the article the other day and was floored when I saw that it was his gun. Who buys their child a rifle?

So stupid.

Post # 4
2401 posts
Buzzing bee

I didn’t own my first gun till I was 16. Even then I only took it out when shooting at a range. A 5 year old has no right for  a gun.

Post # 5
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I think the problem here is the guardians more than the gun.  I had a gun since I was 9, but only under parental supervision.  (Locked in storage when we weren’t shooting targets.)

Post # 6
1189 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@Birdee106:  I grew up in the Midwest (I live in New England) and it is not at all uncommon for kids that age to have hunting rifles.  My sister’s husband hunts and my nephew is 3.  His dad already jokes about taking him hunting, although, I’m pretty sure his “jokes” are serious, he just doesn’t want to make my sister mad.

When I was in grade school, several of the guys in my class would spend weekends hunting with their fathers… I mean, in first and second grade.  

I know people will argue that you can teach a kid to be safe with a gun, but at that age, you don’t really “get” that it can kill you or yourself and most kids don’t really understand death in a real way (as in, it’s permanent).

I’m not anti-gun, though I don’t own any, I just really think people need to be very very careful.

Post # 7
4313 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@missjewels:  I think that mom should be charged with neglect.

As far as the US goes, I really don’t understand our whole “right to bear arms” thing.  When our founding fathers did this, I don’t think that they meant people should give their 5  year olds guns, and let people have semiautomatics for “protection”.

NRA fanatics really bug me.

Post # 8
3170 posts
Sugar bee

@cbee:  Agreed, it should not have been left out.

@stuckinwonderland:  Yeah, I just kept thinking about this boy who is going to grow up knowing he killed his little sister. How do you deal with that?

Post # 9
3830 posts
Honey bee

@missjewels:  Fellow canadian here.  Ditto. I just dont get it.  Its not about “protecting yourself”.  You shouldn’t live your whole life thinking you are going to be attacked everywhere. If you do, you should move. 

Post # 10
2376 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

As a gun owner, the first thing you should be taught is that the gun is ALWAYS loaded.  Even if you are 100% sure that it’s not, you treat it like it is.  You never point a gun at anyone unless you plan on putting a new hole in them.  More morons get shot by a supposedly unloaded gun than I’d care to think about.  I’m somewhat ok with taking a child (not a 5 year old) to a range and teaching them the basics.  If they are too young to understand the first principle of gun ownership, then they are too young to handle a gun.  Period.  Stupid, irresponsible parents.  And as usual, the stupid ones aren’t paying the price.

Post # 11
2685 posts
Sugar bee

This story is so sad.  I grew up in the south with many people who received their first guns at a young age.  The youngest person I recall was about 8 years old.  Most of these kids used them to learn about hunting with their families, which is considered an important hobby and tradition for many families.  However, all of these kids had constant adult supervision and their fair share of gun safety lessons before being able to handle a weapon on their own.  I personally wouldn’t buy a gun for a child that young, but I have no problem with responsible parents giving them to their own children.  

Post # 12
1251 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

I don’t agree with small children having access to weapons of ANY kind, much less a firearm. I do not own a gun, and do not plan on owning one. Darling Husband has two (I believe), but one is a rifle, the other a pistol, and he keeps them in a locked gun safe without ammunition.

However, I am all for regulated gun laws (and I live in the South, where this opinion is very unpopular) and do not believe anyone needs a semi-automatic/automatic weapon for protection. Darling Husband disagrees with me on this, however- he is against strict gun regulation.

Post # 14
3830 posts
Honey bee

and i should note, we have guns in the house.  But they are HUNTING guns, cleaned and unloaded when they are put away in the SAFE we have in the basement.  

Post # 15
7217 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

@Swizzle:  Some people can’t just move and even if you aren’t in a bad neighborhood something can happen. My grandpa has a gun in his nightstand. He locks it up when kids are around and I know some will argue that it should be locked up all the time, however, there is no point in locking it up if you plan on using it for protection. One night someone did break into their house. He was able to just pull the gun and that guy left pretty quickly. Was my grandpa’s life in danger? Not sure, luckily thanks to that gun he didn’t have to find out. He does not live in a dangerous area, they know all their neighbors, and nothing like this had ever happened. This goes to show that you might have to protect yourself even if you don’t live in a “bad” place. 

Post # 16
1762 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

OMG…this makes me so angry to read this kind of news..

The topic ‘5 Year Old Shoots and Kills 2 Year Old Sister’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors