5 Year Ring Upgrade?

posted 1 year ago in Rings
Post # 2
595 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
sarizona :  so ironic you posted this. It’s our 5 year anniversary this May. My husband actually said he wants to upgrade my ring, and I am torn. I would love to upgrade, but have also seen anniversary bands and like the idea of a diamond band instead of upgrading the diamond on my engagement ring. When i told him my idea he was open to it.

I agree with the sentimental thing. I love the idea of upgrading the diamond but also hesitate because this is my original engagement ring, so maybe the band will be a better alternative. We will see, i may change my mind.

Post # 4
595 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
sarizona :  You have years to decide on an upgrade, but maybe on your 1 year anniversary or even sooner you can explore an anniversary band.

Post # 5
109 posts
Blushing bee

I’m currently in the process of having my engagement ring upgraded but that’s mostly down to the fact it had a loose stone and needing a major repair anyway.  This way my whole ring is more secure and I get to switch my 4 centre diamonds ( I have a cluster ring with halo) to 1 centre diamond in my original setting. My partner is sorting it all out himself and I’m going to have the 4 spare diamonds turned into stud earrings.  The whole thing is costing us nearly the same as the original ring but it needs to be done before our wedding in May as it’s currently unwearable. If you want to do it then just go for it. 

Post # 6
Hostess
2529 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2005 - Shreveport, LA

we upgraded my ring in our 5 year and I’m so glad I did! We didn’t have much when we got engaged and I didn’t know much about diamonds so I picked the first set that I thought looked BIG lol! I loved it at the time and it wasn’t cheap but not expensive either…it cost around 3k for the set. During the first year of marriage I went to manage a jewelry store and learned a ton about jewelry,went to seminars and labs and it made me embarrassed of my ring 🤷🏼‍♀️ So my husband agreed since we made more money I could get a better diamond and design a setting….so I did. So I didn’t go bigger just better quality. Here’s a pic of both rings, they are way different lol So I say go for it!!!

Post # 7
2235 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2018

View original reply
sarizona : I felt the same sentimentality toward my engagement ring and actually love it as is. But I also love diamonds and wanted a yellow diamond, as well as a classic round 6 prong solitaire. So, my sweet husband agreed it made the most sense to find a yellow diamond for our first anniversary, and now I have 2 beautiful rings to wear! I’m hoping to get the round solitaire sometime later ☺️ 

Here’s my engagement ring:

and my anniversary ring: 

Post # 8
87 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2022 - Edmonton, AB

View original reply
sarizona :  I would feel the exact same way as you, and want to be able to look at the ring he proposed with and remember that moment. I’m very sentimental like that.

Regardless of what ring I got, and even if we decided to “upgrade it” down the road, I would likely just want a separate anniversary ring… Whether that was a super blinged out band that I would wear as my wedding ring, or a separate alternate engagement ring while keeping my original.

If money didn’t permit and I had to give up my original to offset the cost of the upgrade, I don’t think I could do it.

Hope you get whatever your heart desires kiss

Post # 9
Hostess
6809 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I didn’t really “upgrade”. We got a whole new ring for our 16th anniversary. The original plan was to put the diamond from my engagement ring into the new setting. But it turned out I was more sentimental about my engagement ring than I thought. I ended up telling my husband I didn’t want the new ring because I didn’t want to take my engagement ring apart. He decided to get a new stone for the new ring, and that solved the problem. I still have my engagement ring.

For our 20th, my husband let me design a new custom setting. It is set with a colored gemstone, something I never would have thought of getting when we got engaged.

Post # 10
85 posts
Worker bee

View original reply
sarizona :  soo I just “upgraded” after having my ring for 4 years. I went from a 1.09 ct RB to a 1.50 ct RB. I loved my original but my tastes just changed. I had a lot of guilt because I didn’t want to give up my original e-ring that I was proposed to with but at the same time it didn’t make sense to not trade in my original and shell out a ton more money when I knew I would likely not wear the old one. My husband was supportive and just wanted me to be happy 😆. That said, I am very happy with my new ring and the guilt went away after just a few days 😊

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors