(Closed) 5 Year Rule on Car Seats in NY State?

posted 6 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
5547 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

Not from NY but I both get and don’t get that. I can see not using some anchient one that doesn’t meet safety standards but I don’t think in the last 5 years they have really changed… And really, how would they know?? Are they going to start doing random car sweeps? 

Post # 5
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

With a quick Google search, I don’t see that is a law, but it’s definitely a recommendation in car seat safety across the nation.  Most car seats are printed with an expiration date 5 or 6 years from the manufacture date, and most (all?) car seat manufacturers say not to use the car seat beyond the expiration date.  Unfortunately, your nephew’s car seat is probably not recommended for you to use now.

Here’s an explanation of the expiration dates, and why they’re needed:

http://babyproducts.about.com/b/2006/07/12/reader-question-do-car-seats-expire.htm

Post # 6
2201 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think it comes down to the lifespan of a carseat. After a certain number of years, they start to degrade and are less effective in an accident. Most car seats include an “expiration date” of sorts on them, so you know when they should be replaced.

Here’s a blog post I found where the author did some research into the issue. Hope this helps!

http://www.thriftyandchicmom.com/2010/07/car-seat-expiration-dates-and-when-you-should-replace-them/

Post # 8
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

@regberadaisy:  I know that most car insurance companies will not honor the policy if you violate their car seat safety clauses.  For example, ours says that the car seat cannot be expired, must be installed correctly, and we must not use any after-market attachments (e.g. trays, cup holders, toys, etc…) in order to qualify.  So if we got in an accident, and we were in violation of our policy, our car insurance company will not pay out for baby’s injuries or a new car seat.  You’d have to check your policy, but these clauses are very common.

As for the hospital, it depends on your state and hospital, but we had to have an infant car seat, and we had to show proof that the base had been professionally installed before we could check out of the hospital.  If you are doing pre-enrollment at your hospital, they may ask you to provide this information during that process, before you actually go into labor.

Post # 9
5547 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

Another article I found (because now I am curious) says that they really should be fine for 10, assuming it is within the 10 years since a major redesign for safety. Though personally, car seats aren’t THAT expensive for me (theoreticlly when I have children) to risk their safety because the car seat is old. 

The topic ‘5 Year Rule on Car Seats in NY State?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors