50+ cycles, still a chance for pregnancy?

posted 1 week ago in TTC
Post # 2
5190 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2017

Viviana2 :  I would wait to see the doctor again and tell them your concerns. Are you tracking your ovulation at all?

Post # 3
2135 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Viviana2 :  it is definitely possible. But, it sounds like the medication is not doing what it’s supposed to. Are you seeing a fertility doctor or an OBGYN? I’d get a referral for a fertility dr ASAP. An ob is not trained to get you pregnant. They might be able to diagnose issues but aren’t trained to solve them. 

Post # 4
254 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

I agree with the above if u want to get pregnant go to a fertility clinic. I have PCOS and it has taken us over a year to get pregnant even with medication.

You might also want to google PCOS diet tips as certain things eg cutting down on carbs helped the symptoms for me.

Post # 8
600 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

You havn’t seen the doctor in 8 months and your cycles are getting worse. I’d call the office and talk to his PA or leave a message for him on if you should continue taking it given the circumstances. I also have an autoimmune condition and diet is very important for that, my blood work is significantly different if i am following the diet, so you may put your condition and diet protocol books or cookbooks in to amazon or google and see who the experts are and what they say. If you have hashimotos gluten is a HUGE no. There are a ton of PCOS cookbook and diet books an Amzon!

Post # 9
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

Hi bee! Sorry to hear about your struggles. So, I don’t know much anout PCOS so I apologise if this is an ignorant suggestion but can you not temp like other people would to track your cycles? (Ie track BBT?)

Also, are you sure you did the ovulation tests right? A line almost always shows up for many people but it’s only positive when the test line is DARKER than the control line. Some people don’t realise this and they think it works more like a pregnancy test… (you know, where ANY line is a positive…)

Post # 11
170 posts
Blushing bee

Yes, I regularly had cycles in excess of 50 days (sometimes over 100 days!) and got pregnant pretty easily. I got pregnant on cycle 1, but that was a chemical pregnancy. After my chemical, I had pretty much the only ‘normal’ 28 day cycle I’ve had in my life but didn’t get pregnant. Then I got pregnant again with my daughter on cycle 3 with ovulation occurring on cycle day 43 (so AF would have come on cycle day 57 if I hadn’t got pregnant).

With massively irregular cycles, there is no point in using ovulation prediction apps. The most helpful thing for me was keeping note of my cervical mucus. My EWCM made it very clear when I was actually getting ready to ovulate/had already ovulated, which I then backed-up with ovulation prediction strips and tracking my BBT. Good luck!

Post # 12
7008 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

Viviana2 :  I don’t think you had a miscarriage… a miscarriage is like a full blown period.  I agree with others that you need to go back to your doctor and tell him about your autoimmune disease and tell him the treatment isn’t working.  Can you email or call so they can recommend next steps for you and be more prepared for your next visit? 

Post # 13
631 posts
Busy bee

Viviana2 :  Bee, I want to support you in resolving your infertility struggles, and I wish you every happiness, but I don’t think enough time and action could possibly have taken place to resolve the issues you mentioned in your previous thread.  I’m concerned about how your husband treats you, his lack of support of women and mothers, and the risk it would be to your mental health, facing an anxiety disorder while pregnant and with likely complications postpartum with a partner who doesn’t believe in the legitimacy of postpartum depression and anxiety.  He described your hesitance to rush into a pregnancy as “selfish” and made a veiled threat of divorce, saying he didn’t know if he could be with a woman who is so selfish. I’m concerned about this situation.  I would recommend marital counseling and birth control for at least a year or two while you to work on things.  I can’t bring myself to be encouraging of going in to an re in this marital situation.

It’s so weird that so many if you, Bees, have mentioned not having children soon. I just really started reading all the responses as we had a busy weekend (family member underwent surgery) but this is so weird!

My husband always makes comments about having a baby soon and he knew I was on board. Well, a few months ago I started really looking into it as I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder at age 13 and wanted to be fully aware of how a pregnancy could potentially trigger my anxiety. I posted about this here and after reading your responses decided on waiting just a bit longer- we had set the date for us to start trying on November of this year. I told Darling Husband I had changed my mind, explained why and made ir clear that I DO want children, but need to be better prepared. I said 2 more years at least (I’m 25, so it still seems okay to me).  Since that day he makes it a point to talk about every child we see on the street, movies, EVERYWHERE. Going back to last night, he told me we needed to have a conversation as he doesn’t want to be an “old” dad (he just turned 28). I thought it was a good idea to talk about it since I feel guilty everytime I see him drooling over a child, so I went over all the physical, emotional, financial and mental challeges a baby would bring right now. He became angry and said he disapproved of selfish women like me, that women before didn’t suffer from depression, anxiety or any of the things I mentioned. I said maybe they did, but kept quiet about it. His answer? “Exactly, they knew better than to complain”.

I was beyond shocked. I ended the conversatiom by stating that I want him to educate himself on pregancy, post partum depression, everything that we could potentially face once we decide to get pregnant. He’s unhappy about it as we claims the only reason for me to try and get him to do some research would be to make him change his mind about becoming a dad.

I’m so frustrated right now, bees. He used to be someone I could TALK TO. 

Post # 14
2124 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

Viviana2 :  I suffered with my PCOS for years without knowing what it was. After seeing someone who specializes in endocrinology and is adept at diagnoses, I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. I was prescribed Metformin. I’ve been on it for years. It regulated my cycles, helped with the cystic acne, took the pain and crazy symptoms out of my cycles, and I was finally able to lose weight and maintain weight loss. 

Eventually I got married and went on birth control. Then late last year I went off BC, and we started TTC. We were successful on our second cycle. I’m now nearly 13 weeks pregnant. I’ve also ready studies that Metformin can help prevent early miscarriage in PCOS patients.

I’m not saying Metformin is a wonder drug, and it may not be right for you. But if your PCOS is at all related to insulin resistance, it could be an option. I believe doctors are even prescribing it now for PCOS without insulin problems. 

I would mention it to your doctor. 

Post # 15
1236 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

At your age, the guidelines for work up of infertility are a year of trying without a pregnancy, so you still have a bit to go. That being said, it sounds like you are someone who will have challenges conceiving and you need to be more proactive. With PCOS, you may need to monitor both LH surge (OPKs) and basal body temperature. I highly suggest the book Taking Charge of your Fertility. 

You mention that the doctor you are seeing is a “fertility doctor” but based on what you’ve said I’m a bit suspicious. Is he/she a board certified reproductive endocrinologist? Lots of ob/gyns say they have an interest in fertility but most don’t know much about it. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors