(Closed) $50 dollars per 5 piece flatware set on a bridal registry, why?!!!!

posted 5 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
6256 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2014

That’s why we are going to be registering at Target. Unless it’s fine china, that’s kind of insane, especially when you can get perfectly good wine glasses at Crate and Barrel or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Post # 4
3686 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Different things are important to different people. Some people really like to entertain, and some people want china/flatware/stemware that they can pass down to their children. Think of it this way — at least they didn’t register for sterling silver flatware at $800-$1800 per place setting!

Post # 5
6256 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2014

@cmbr:  I saw some of that. $56,000 for a full set! I could put 50% down on a house for that amount!

Post # 6
1299 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@mishagirls79:  I totally agree with you.  Its not my style and it may be hers but I wouldnt in good conscious buy her one place setting.  Id wait until she had something a little more practical and affordable for your price range then go from there.  If not, I got a lot of gift cards for my shower.  But i opted for the 79.99 flatware set for 12.  And I got the set of 12 dinner plates for 30 bucks, cereal bowls for 12 for $20 bucks etc.  I got whats actually meant to be for caterers I guess… but its plain white and I love it because it will go with anything and I can swap out my centerpieces and linens for color.  Also those items are easily replaced when you chip or break one, and sometimes the more expensive ones are not.  My cousin got all lenox place settings for 16 and I remember one bowl was $20 and I was flabbergasted by that.  To my knowledge shes never cooked anything in her life…..

Post # 7
11752 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You’d really gasp at ours then! I’m not sure why youd waste time judging someone’s registry. clearly they value and wish To have fine china and you doNt. not much to “Get” there. It’s no big deal.

Post # 8
9082 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Some people just like having nice china and flatware to entertain.

If that’s not your boat to float, don’t buy it for them and buy something else.

Post # 9
5405 posts
Bee Keeper

I think this comes from “back in the day” when it was the norm for couples to register for nice items, and it was encouraged. Like, my grandma got all of her new household items at her wedding. And my parents probably did too. Do you know what I’m trying to say? I think some people just think it’s normal that you register for expensive stuff like that, because in years past it was common to get nice china/flatware at your wedding. Now that Americans are so enamored by stuff, I think people just think it’s ok to ask for really expensive wedding gifts. 

I’m not saying it’s good or bad, I just think that’s why people ask for stuff like that. Some people want fine dinnerware, so they register for it because that’s acceptable to many people. 

Post # 11
3686 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

When I was just starting with our registries, I had a bunch of weird and expensive stuff on there that I eventually weeded out/replaced with cheaper things before the shower invitations went out. I would have been mortified if my friends were creeping on the registries before I was ready for people to see them, especially if they were posting on public internet forums about how flabbergasted they were by the prices of my registry items.

Even if these are her final selections, there are some people that love to buy china and things like that for showers and wedding presents. Trust me, my fiance’s entire side of the family is like that. I wasn’t planning on registering for china, but when Future Mother-In-Law and the two FSIL’s found out, they were shocked. That’s just how things are done with their family. We’ll enjoy our china, and in some ways it’s one of the things we’re most looking forward to receiving. Fiance and I think of it as, “this is the bowl that we’ll be eating out of with our family, twenty years from now on Thanksgiving.” It’s a lot more meaningful than a spatula in the end.

Post # 12
4495 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

The flatware we’re registered for is $80 per set Undecided. However our dinner settings are way below $165. The set I really want is $210 per setting, but I realize that this is just not feasible for people to purchase as a gift. Honestly I think I’d rather buy someone 2 place settings for $330 then some crazy appliance that they’ll stick in the back of a cabinet or on a shelf in their basement and never use. I’m sure they’ll add more to their registry. Remember – they have to add gifts for close relatives like parents, grandparents, etc that might be more than willing to purchase those high priced items. Our registry has a very large range of prices. I pretty much know who will be purchasing the big ticket items versus the less expensive stuff.

Everyone has different tastes and I don’t think theres anything wrong with that. Personally, I’d rather have a few nice things then a boatload of “junk”.

Post # 13
8472 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

Damn!  I could never have registered for something that $$$$!

Post # 14
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

Cause they can buy flatware/everyday dishes anytime, and cheap at target.  It would be harder to get the money together for China/nice flateward by themselves.

Maybe you can go in on with someone else to get them a setting.  Or just get them one setting of the flatware. 

Post # 15
3943 posts
Honey bee

I think a lot of it has to do with social circles and the norms in your family/friends.

I know some circles where it’s perfectly normal to spend $500+++ on a shower gift. In my circle….not so much.

Post # 16
110 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I think that those items are very expensive but everyone values different things. Maybe they don’t care to have a great washer/dryer. For our plates we did mostly casual china- a mix of fiesta and espanaware for 16 place settings! I’m sure even though it is cheaper people may think it is too much but we love to entertain and I like to use a clean plate for all my snacks etc and it adds up to a lot a day since I am always grazing. We also sort of did fine china. We added three sets of 12 piece bone china (for 12 place setting of a dinner plate, salad plate, and soup bowl) from the hotel collection at Macys. It isn’t fancy since they are plain white but they are beautiful and very transulcent. Each set that has 4 place settings is 140 bucks when it is on sale. A little over 200 normally. Most fine china at places like macy’s is always buy one get one free so your friend could get two place setting for the price you see. It really isn’t that expensive…

The topic ‘$50 dollars per 5 piece flatware set on a bridal registry, why?!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors