(Closed) 50 Pounds to Down in Six Months

posted 4 years ago in Fitness
Post # 2
2044 posts
Buzzing bee

I just lost about 45 pounds in about 5 months. I do not reccomend it. I was very sick for about half of the time and went many days without eating while still swimming every day, which definitely accelerated it. I was also over 250lbs to begin with at 5’10”. I have lost a lot of my muscle tone. I had very toned calves before and my thighs have lose skin. I have also had to return two wedding dresses due to losing so much weight. I do not reccomend trying this. It really has not been fun. If anything I am less happy with my body now than I was before. 

Post # 4
6163 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2017

Low/no carb, high protein diet=fastest weight loss for me. Moderate exercise and weights for toning and you can expect to lose up to 5 pounds a week, easy.

Post # 5
2044 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
doeadeer2013 :  I wasn’t planning on losing weight, so I guess that has something to do with it as well. It’s really hard for me to lose weight (I have exercisded 5+hrs a week and eaten no meat at all for years, then upped the exercise and added some chicken and fish and still never lost weight, for 10+ years). 

Because of my stomach issues I know eat ~1200 calories a day with very little fat and dairy and no red meat, sodas, juices, or coffee. This is keeping me at this weight / still losing (but not as quickly)

Hopefully when it is warm enough to swim again I will be able to tone quickly. It’s harder in the winter. 

I think part of it is that it’s hard to see my body differently. I can see that it looks smaller, but it doesn’t seem that much smaller, yet it seems … foreign. I’ve looked the same way ages 14-28. It’s weird to look different. I also feel like i notice flaws that didn’t bother me before. it’s weird.

Post # 6
2797 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015 - St Peter\'s Church, East Maitland, and Bella Vista, Newcastle

MyFitnessPal is my go-to. You do have to weigh everything you eat, but it’s free and it works, if you’re honest with it and yourself.

Working out only helps a certain amount – you can’t outrun a bad diet, but it will also stop you losing muscle tone.  

Post # 7
47439 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

View original reply
doeadeer2013 :  I would encourage you to reframe your thinking.You can lose weight with any number of gimmicky diets, but the minute you “go off” the diet, the weight will return. Your weight will yo- yo the rest of your life.

Weight Watchers is a lifestyle change. It is not a diet. It is also not expensive. You can join online for less than $4 per week. Where I live that is one latte.

I have mentioned before that about 10 years ago I lost 110 pounds on Weight Watchers. I still follow Weight Watchers and my weight has not varied by more than a pound or two in that time.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Post # 8
2569 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

So I am 5’7, was 155 in high school early 2000s, up to 180 freshman year of college. Down to 150 through the help of WW and hot yoga a few years later. Up and down naturally over the years then back all the way up to 204 as of Oct ’14. Knew I had two years until my 30th so I started being serious about my health. I took it as a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. 

I used Myfitnesspal and an activity tracker and for 60 days I measured my food intake and recorded everything. Started limiting calories but no specific diet of ‘I can’t eat bread’ BC I knew I would never stick to something drastic. Once I knew how much a real portion size was I didn’t need Myfitnesspal anymore. I also started walking. A lot of walking compared to my previous zero exercise. About 3 miles 3x a week. I stopped being eating a ton of food and started not living a sedentary lifestyle and I lost 54 pounds over 16 months. I’ve stayed at 150 for the past 7 months. I know it’s not in the time frame you wanted, but if you up the walking you could safely loose more faster.

Post # 9
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I’m trying to lose about 45 lbs in 10 months, so in a similar boat. I tend to have a hard time losing weight, so even with a decent amount of time i know I’m fighting an uphill battle.

Something to consider: obviously you want to look your best for your wedding, but if you lose weight in an unhealthy way you’ll almost certainly gain it back quickly afterwards. It’s happened to so many family members and friends of mine. I’ve decided I’m going to lose as much as I can in a way I can maintain, and if I’m not my goal weight at my wedding, I’ll keep going till I reach it some months after. A good way to think of this: in the future, would you rather be a weight you’re not happy with and look back on wedding photos where you are your ideal weight, or be your ideal weight and look back on your wedding photos where you were GETTING to your goal.

Also: it’s kinda pricey, but I’ve found my Fitbit Charge HR to be a HUGE help. It makes me walk more, do more exercise, and the app is phenomenal at tracking pretty much everything in one neat program. Good luck!

Post # 10
80 posts
Worker bee

to get the best results you should combine diet and exercise. You don’t have to go without or cut anything out completely but control your portion sizes. Put in less of the ‘bad’ stuff and more of the ‘good’ stuff

if you want to get the best results from your exercise, start your day with a good source of fibre. Eat some carbs (but not too much) during the day before your exercise (don’t eat too close to exercising though) and then finish your day off with high protein after your exercise.

Dont stick to the same exercise and the same routine, mix it up a bit and try to do at least 2-3 times a week.

Make sure you give yourself rest days for your muscles to repair and give yourself one day a week to eat what you normally would.

Drink plenty of water, especially on exercise days.

Eat a verity of different foods, just because you are on a diet doesn’t mean you have to live on salad. You need nutrients from all food groups but keep a check on the amount you are putting in.

if you are not exercising, keep your carbs low.

Good luck!

Post # 11
755 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

View original reply
doeadeer2013 :  Bee, I think you are setting yourself for disappointment. This doesn’t sound like a realistic or a healthy target. Also, the whole idea of conepletely changing how you look just for the wedding is plain crazy. Your Fiance, your family and friends know how you look like and love you. You will not be more beautiful to them skinnier… If you want to loose weight to be healthy, that’s a different story. And also a different approach as you really need to do it slowly!

I have recently lost about 25 pounds in the span of 4 months. It was not easy. I combined low carb eating with portion control and a lot of gentle excercising (yoga and hiking). I eat very little and over the last couple of months it led to me losing appetite. I think it was too fast actually. I still have 10 to go, but planning to take it very very slow. Plus with xmas season it’s nearly impossible to lose weight. 

Post # 12
1311 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
doeadeer2013 :  I lost 60 lbs in 6 months and my starting weight was 245. I didn’t exercise at all and just counted calories (using MFP). I also didn’t “diet” and still ate dessert and fast food; I just stayed at a calorie deficit. 

It wasn’t exactly hard to lose that much weight in that timeframe, but you have to be really dedicated with zero days straying from your calorie goal. It can get frustrating and exhausting and sometimes I just wanted to binge and give up. But the end result was all worth it. Unfortunately I gained a lot back just because I stopped tracking my calories and didn’t care once the weight was gone. 

The topic ‘50 Pounds to Down in Six Months’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors