(Closed) 50 shades kinda way

posted 5 years ago in Intimacy
Post # 3
1431 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I’ve never read the book, but I heard it wasn’t that great compared to some other works. I heard that The Sleeping Beauty books by Anne Rice are great though if 50 Shades of Grey is your cup of tea. 

Post # 4
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I personally hated the books. They’re about a douche who likes to beat women who look like his mother and then have sex with him. Not to mention the lead woman has zero self confidence or respect. I was disappointed because I definitely love a good sexy novel! But good for you if it helps youe sex life! It gave me the heeby jeebies though haha

Post # 5
1068 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@HisWifey:  +1! Moral of the story, “If you want your woman to change, make sure to nag, beat, and emotionally abuse her and SHE WILL CHANGE!” 

Post # 6
Bee
983 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2008 - A tiny town just outside of Glacier National Park

I thought 50 Shades was sexy in that it introduced BDSM in a mainstream, approachable way, but not really a great story or a great “moral.” The Anne Rice Sleeping Beauty books are a whoooooooole other realm of whacked out sex– very much more in the fantasy realm (princes and princesses) and a lot of sexual slavery/pony play. I found those titillating, but not really as approachable or sexy. Wish I had more recommendations for you!

Post # 7
2578 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@HisWifey:  You had better believe I am sitting here clapping at your post.

Post # 8
3081 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

There’s a newer one out that’s almost strikingly similar to 50 Shades… It’s called Bared to You by Sylvia Day. I didn’t really like the writing in the 50 Shades trilogy, but this one seems to be written with a little more skill, and still has all the sex you could want. 

Post # 10
9956 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

TO – HisWifey:  +1,000,000

This is precisely WHY despite the fan-fare (lemmings jumping into the abyss) I didn’t see the attraction of this book whatsoever

I’m all in favour of sexual fantasy and titillating writing…

But come on, I am more intellegent than the the fodder that was presented within “these covers” (pun intended)

As women we should stand up in an effort to find literally role models that can be smart, strong and sexy (and horny) all the same time

Fanny Hill, one of the first pieces of steamy literature that I read did this… or even Summer of 42, although told from a Teenage Boy’s perspective, does a lot to speak to the empowerment of a woman alone

Post # 11
232 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

It was an adult fanfic version of twilight with the names changed and a pretty cover put on it, enough said

Post # 12
5982 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2018

…you know, I haven’t read 50 Shades…just not in that place, but if your looking for something naughty good, the Sleepng Beauty Series that Anne Rice wrote under Anne Roquelare are pretty steamy and rather avante guard in that slave/master kind of way…enjoy!

Post # 13
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I enjoyed ” Bared to you” as some others mentioned. Its very close to 50 shades, but better writing- IMO

Post # 14
915 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@HisWifey:  Thank you. I cannot understand the 50 Shades love. 

Post # 15
1487 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I wanted to like 50 Shades.  But my problem with it is that the author made this guy completely screwed up, and THAT was why he was like he was.  He did have so many issues (mentioned above) and for me, that doesn’t introduce BDSM in a mainstream way at all.  It makes people who gravitate toward that lifestyle look like douches or people with no self-respect, and the list ends there.

I think the author did those people a pretty big disservice.

I have nothing meaningful to contribute, suggestion-wise, that just makes me so mad.

The topic ‘50 shades kinda way’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors