(Closed) 50 Shades of Benjamin Moore Gray Paint

posted 4 years ago in Home
Post # 2
648 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Cant speak from experience, but looking at your list.. you have your four. 🙂 The ones your remark too beige or green EX them. Your gut reactions of the others is speaking to you.

Post # 3
2013 posts
Buzzing bee

TheGridMonster: I actually like Stonington Gray. It won’t look as dark once you have it up and some light is coming through. Have you considered Alaskan Husky? That could work too.

Post # 4
2553 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

TheGridMonster:  I have no experience with these colors but I’ll tell ya, we painted 5 rooms and a hallway the same shade of gray (buying a big ass bucket of paint is cheaper than buying several smaller buckets, horray frugality!) and the lighting and decor made the walls look pretty different.  One room looked purple on one side and blue on the other.  Of course it looked straight gray where we tested it.  It doesn’t bug me anymore, I guess I got used to it, but if you’re picky about that kind of thing I’d definitely test the color in whatever different lighting you’re going to have it in.

Post # 5
1831 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

My whole house is revere pewter. Doesn’t look beige to me. Especially with white trim and darker floors.

Post # 6
1831 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

And like pp mentioned, it looks different in every room.

Post # 7
888 posts
Busy bee

TheGridMonster:  Exciting!  Picking paint color can be VERY challenging becauses one or two shades off and it can not what you wanted at all.  Five houses, four painters and three interior designers later, I have finally found my forever paint pallette.  I used to be only Ben Moore but I would always be one shade off from what I wanted and would live with it.  I can’t say enough about Restoration Hardware paint.  Which just kills me because their customer service STINKS (more on that).  Their paint colors are perfect and it’s much easier to choose a color because they are edited down.  They all go together with each other also which was my next problem – how to go from room to room.  Professional painters scoff at the idea of painting with them until they use them and then they are sold.  For light grey I have used RH silver sage (it does look more green than silver) and sterling silver.  My all time hands down fav from RH – a light beige that just makes the white trim absolutely pop.  RH won’t ship paint expedited so I did have to have Ben Moore color match and it’s close but definitely not the same (painter was at my house, RH had sent one can of the wrong finish – no joke).  I would definitely give consideration to the color of your flooring, since it’s such a great amount of surface area it will not only affect the overall hue of the paint if it is not complementary it may compete (I learned that the hard way also).  Anyway, have fun with it and best wishes!

Post # 8
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I did my downstairs of my townhouse in Sandstone gray and my bedroom gravity both from valspar

Post # 9
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

BM’s Silver Half Dollar. Have only seen it in a mag. but it’s swanky😉

Post # 10
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

My mom swears by Revere Pewter.  It’s a beautiful color, but on the greige size.  I’m super happy with my Gray Owl bedroom.  It’s light and bright and seems truly neutral.  My mom has San Antonio Gray in her kitchen and I believe it has a bit of blue.  It’s a little darker, but I like it.  I loooooved Smoke Embers in my condo, but it had a definite blue/lavender undertone in evening light.  It’s part of what I loved about it, but it’s not for everyone. 

Post # 11
537 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

TheGridMonster:  Revere Pewter is my happy place. I paid an insaaaaaaane amount to have some imported to Germany after a year of not being able to find anything close. I too have it in my entry, which gets loads of natural light and has a lot of artificial light coming from a fat chandelier; my floors are acacia (reddish like cherry) and the furniture is dark with taupe-y neutral fabric and true silver drapes (which tend to turn grays purple-ish). The walls stay true pale gray to me pretty much all the time. I can only recommend it!

Post # 12
Hostess
592 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I used Collingwood gray. The lighting in this picture sucks so it doesn’t even do it justice, but it’s one of my FAVOURITE colors since it’s a warmer gray and not too cool.

Post # 13
1738 posts
Bumble bee

TheGridMonster:  I just painted my kitchen/den revere pewter and I LOVE it. I think it’s the perfect neutral colour and it contrasts really nicely with a white trim. Not too dark, not too light, you can’t really go wrong with it. It’s more grey than it is beige, but it does have a slightly warmer tint to it so it might not be what you’re looking for!

As SoontobeCJ mentioned – definitely consider the look of your flooring. My floors are a warm brown, they have a slight reddish tint to them, and in some lighting my revere petwer walls do look like they have the slightest tint of green to them.

Post # 14
11583 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

Imma revere pewter girl, as you know, but I think you gotta paint a swatch on the wall and watch the light over a weekend when you’ll be home. Can’t wait to see what you pick!!

Post # 15
5954 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

I agree with a previous poster. Paint a couple swatches and see it in the different lights, makes a huge difference! I’m a color girl (see: bathroom post), but I LOVE gray with a crisp white trim. Pix when you’re done!!

The topic ‘50 Shades of Benjamin Moore Gray Paint’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors