(Closed) 50 Shades of Benjamin Moore Gray Paint

posted 4 years ago in Home
Post # 16
1980 posts
Buzzing bee

I don’t have pictures of my kitchen, but I just painted it Revere Pewter. It is not super beige – in fact I don’t see it as beige at all. It is a great, flexible gray. It is a bit warm in some lights, and cools down in others. It’s a really dynamic color and I’m in love with it – as weird as it is. Paint a big swatch and see what you think.

Post # 17
308 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015 - City Hall NYC

Gray Owl sounds nice because I love owls LOL, I know no help.  We only use Behr Marquee paint at home because it covers so beautifully.  The only advice I can give you is go with your first choice or the one color (shade) you keep going back to.  Good luck!

Post # 18
575 posts
Busy bee

TheGridMonster:  We have Edgecomb Gray in our bedroom – it is very change-y depending on the light. It can look much warmer or much cooler depending on the time of day and the amount of light coming it. That makes it very versatile! (But if you want to know exactly what your walls will look like all the time, this is not the colour for you!)

Post # 19
511 posts
Busy bee

I tried swatches of every color you listed. I agree that Revere Pewter is “beigey”.The ones in my house I found to be true grey were Stonington Grey and Wickham Grey, both of which we used in bedrooms.

Our foyer is actually American White, which is grey, but lighter than the others you listed. We tried all of them but they were too dark. We painted all of them in large squares on the walls and lived with them for a few days to see which worked.

ETA: They look totally different on the wall than on the swatch in the room, we taped the swatches to the wall and wanted grey owl, then once actually painted on the wall in a larger square it looked completely diffferent

Post # 20
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I’m currently eyeing BM’s Cape May Cobblestone…

Post # 21
5028 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2017

I strongly considered Light Pewter but ended up with Abalone Grey for my entire house.

Post # 22
2178 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I have Revere Pewter in my bedroom and really like it – but it is a bit more beige-y than the other greys I have in my home

I actually love my dining room most and that is Ashley Grey but its a bit more purple/brown toned that it seems you would like

my living room and kitchen great room is stonington grey and I love it – it really varies based on the light you get into the space and looks great

Post # 25
1988 posts
Buzzing bee

TheGridMonster:  it’s awesome to know I am now the only crazy about gray paint! 🙂

here trying some dot stickers while I try finishing my home office decor. 

Post # 27
4891 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

following – I love grays!

Post # 28
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Test cans are key.  Paint several big pieces of poster board and move them around the room and from room to room.  We had Ben Moore Coventry Gray (one shade darker than stonington) in a bedroom and bath that faced east in our last house and I loved it.  It looked like a “true gray” even though that doesn’t really exist since all have undertones.  When we put our house on the market we decided to repaint our master from the blue color it was to a neutral gray so we just used Coventry Gray again.  Because the master bedroom faced west it looked completely different in there than in the other bedroom…almost lavender.  So you never know how it’s going to look from room to room without testing.  We are building a house right now and it is frustrating but I can’t pick a whole house color until all the drywall is up, windows in and floor down for fear that those things will really affect the color on the walls.  All your colors are on my list too though!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  .
Post # 30
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I painted a living room Gray Owl 70% strength and I (and my friends who lived there) loved it. I think  this could be a good pick for you based on what you’re looking for (cool undertones in the blue/blue-green family, but not a “cold” gray — which you sometimes risk with the more “gravender” shades — still light, airy, and cheerful). If you’re concerned about contrast with white trim, I would say going full strength (as opposed to 70% like we did) will give you plenty of value separation between walls and trim. Here are my pictures from that:

dsc01119

dsc01125In that same apartment we ended up painting the bathroom Edgecomb Gray and I like to think it’s a little like Revere Pewter’s lighter cousin. This was a room with no windows and it read a little greener than I expected but still delivered overall as a “greige.” (I will also admit we did not prime over the preexisting green walls — whoops.)

I know my sister has Horizon and Gray Owl in adjacent rooms in her apartment. I can’t say for certain, but I think Horizon might be a bit lighter and bluer? I’m also happy to double check with her and even take pictures if you’d like.  

One last interesting thing about Rever Pewter — its praise and popularity speaks for itself, it’s a neutral that provides and works nicely with both warm and cool tones so when it comes to things like hardware or even mixing metals it’s a great backdrop. HOWEVER, and I have never witnessed this in person — I’ve only read about it in the comments on the Bridesmaid or Best Man website — some people who have used it in rooms that I believe receive a lot north-facing light (again, not totally confident it’s North) have complained that it has read as “ice blue.” Hard to believe, given its “greige” status, but something to look out for (at the very least for “huh! Who woulda thought!” entertainment sake). This is just my long-winded way of saying, “yeah, I agree with the past 100 people who have advised you to swatch!”

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  mhg3206.

The topic ‘50 Shades of Benjamin Moore Gray Paint’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors