(Closed) $500 for a cake?

posted 12 years ago in Food
Post # 3
450 posts
Helper bee

Why don’t you make one yourself?

Or, if it isn’t a big wedding, do a sundae bar.

Post # 4
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I can relate, I thought a cake would be maybe $100 – $150.  Mine ended up costing $375.  It is only 3 tiers and nothing very fancy.

Post # 6
363 posts
Helper bee

You could try Albertsons or Kroger for a less expensive cake.  Or buy already made cakes and serve an assortment of flavors.

Post # 7
363 posts
Helper bee

Oh, you don’t HAVE to have cake…it’s your wedding- they had theirs!

Post # 8
450 posts
Helper bee

People always gasp when they hear something non-traditional.  But at the wedding itself, no one will even notice.  It might just be an afterthought the guests have on the way home.  But they won’t miss it.

Post # 9
2076 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!

I’ve heard that Publix can crank out a pretty good wedding cake too.

Post # 10
638 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Here are the alternatives I’ve worked out- Costco and Sam’s club do sheet (and smaller) cakes for super cheap. We”re talking $30-$40 for a cake to feed 30-50 people! Plus, many (not all, which I have learned the hard way!) of their stores have bakeries which offer fillings- lemon, strawberry, chocolate, raspberry, cheesecake, etc. Tasty and cheap! You can just keep the cakes in the back and have your caterer cut them out of sight. no one will ever know you spent less then $1 per slice! 🙂

And….if you are like me, you still want the 3-4 tier look and that cake cutting picture (complete with cake shoved in your face) that’s easy and cheap too! What we’re going is buying a tiny cake at a local bakery and using it as the top tier in a faux cake. The first 3 tiers of the 4 tier “cake” will be round styrafoam covered in fondont and decorated with ribbon! You can get teh foam and fondont super cheap. if you add this to the cost of 1-5 sam’s/costco cakes (depending on the # of guests), you shouldn’t spend too much. I was gussing that cake for our 100 guests and the fake cake will cost no more then $110. Total!

If that’s not how you want to go, you can always keep the sundae bar (super awesome idea!), and just get 2-3 cakes in 3 sizes, push wooden rod into them, and stack them on your own. throw flowers or a topper on them and *poof* Insta wedding cake! Make the traditionalists happy, but keeps the cost down.

Post # 11
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

What about pie?   A friend of mine didn’t have cake but they cut a regular size pie and had minis for everyone else.

Post # 12
191 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I have a ton of suggestions!!

– For starters, look at non-bakery cakes… we actually got ours from the local grocery store and we had rave reviews about it. 2 of my friends puposely came up to tell me it was the best wedding cake they ever had. Cost of a 12″ cake: $15. You could do three or 4 of these cakes on tiered platters to still give it a great look.

– Which leads to me to doing one or two round cakes for show and then serving a sheet cake, sheet cake is a ton cheaper – even if you go the bakery route this will save $

– Cupcake tree!!! This is a cheaper option than the traditional 3 tier cake and you still get a similar look.

– You can also do small desserts instead of cake, we did mini cheesecakes that were divine. Mini eclairs and cream puffs are also an option . You can find these at Sams club and they’re fairly resonable.

– Faux cake, the top part (for cutting) is real and then you have fake bottoms (usually made of styrofoam and covered in fondant), the only thing that isn’t cool about those is if one of the younger guests sticks their fingers in the frosting

I attached some photos to give you some visual inspiration….

[attachment=418359,55929] [attachment=418359,55930] [attachment=418359,55931] [attachment=418359,55933]

Post # 14
2385 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

I like the idea of a cake bar. We ended up going traditional with a $500 three-tier cake (maybe that was dumb) but we thought of getting a few cake stands and displaying several single tier cakes, which would have cost about $150 to feed just as many people, and probably prettier!

Wait, why didn’t I do this again…?

Post # 15
486 posts
Helper bee

I’ve had several cakes from Costco that taste amazing!

Post # 16
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I love the idea (and the price point) of several non-wedding-sized cakes of different flavors on a beautiful wedding cake display. I hear that it can cut your cost down significantly, and I personally have never been into the whole “big wedding cake” thing. My FH is a traditionalist, however. He wants a garter and bouquet toss even though I have no desire. He wants to cut a big wedding cake and “lovingly” smear icing onto my face, and that’s not at the top of my priority list. I’ll be interested in seeing if he goes for it when we get to the cake part of our planning.

The topic ‘$500 for a cake?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors