(Closed) $500 MINIMUM for day of makeup services?! Are you f’ing kidding me?!

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Well, all of the minimums I found were $400. It’s because they assume they are not only doing the bride. 

I ended up asking our hairstylist (they usually are trained for both) and she ended up adding it onto the hair charge at an extra $20. Much more reasonable. (However, we did not have airbrush)

Post # 4
470 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Wow.  That’s absurd! I’m having airbrush make-up done for $140. 

Post # 5
843 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Yeah I got that too…I was like, I’m only doing the bride.  But they won’t do it unless they get everyone.  I ended up finding a place that would do it individually!

Post # 6
753 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Mine didn’t have a minimum but I also have a lot of girls getting hair and make-up (including my mom, FI’s mom, as well).  The requirement for mine was that she know how many people were getting hair and makeup, and how many were just getting hair so she could decide if she needed to have the make-up person block their whole morning or not.

Post # 7
2871 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

that sounds really expensive for one person.

I did my own make up to avoid this expense at all costs.

Have you thought about DIY?  You have time to try out different products and looks to get it just right for the big day.

Post # 8
2084 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1993

I’m looking for someone in NYC to do mine, and most seem to be about that! It’s crackers that something so intangible is so expensive!

Post # 9
3241 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

That seems really high. I’m not sure how much the makeup itself was, but my 2 bridesmaids and myself all had updos AND makeup. The total with tax and tip was $400~so roughly $134 per person. Definitely worth was spent!

Post # 11
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

None of the makeup artists had a minimum though some of them did have random fees ( a $75 sunday fee? really?) I am paying $150 for my day of makeup (that includes false lashes, airbrush etc) and later I added on my bridesmaids for $85 each.  I live in a smallish town and my makeup girl is going to travel over an hour to get to me.

Post # 12
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

@UpstateCait: Can you go to a location to have it done? I would assume that might be less expensive, and then they could just do you. (it’s nice to get a moment to yourself on that day anyways)

Post # 13
609 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m not shocked by the price, but then again I am a professional make-up artists. lol!  Did you request the full day and she/he quoted $500?  Is the artist willing to negotiate at all?  Are they doing the entire bridal party and touch-ups? If so, how many ppl excluding you?

If it’s out of your budget move on and keep searching…you will be able to find someone to do your makeup at a better price. But, make sure you see their portfolio and speak to some references…just like anything else, you will get what you pay for so be careful if the price is too good to be true.  With that being said, I think I should also add: just because an artist charge a lot doesn’t mean their skill warrant that price (so again, check their port. and references).

Post # 14
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Really? Oh wow! Is that for you or for the entire bridal party? And only for make-up, not hair? That is nuts!

Not sure who quoted you this, but I am using Make Me Fabulous (don’t think they have a minimum?). My total for hair and make-up for me and my maids will probably range between 550-670ish depending on how many people get their MU done. I will be paying for their hair, but not their make-up (which is optional) though, so I will prob pay close to 550 for my hair and make-up and my BM’s hair.

Post # 15
6824 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Mine and my girls cost $55 a piece, but that was also small town MN. If I had it done in the Minneapolis/St Paul area would have been closer to 300

The topic ‘$500 MINIMUM for day of makeup services?! Are you f’ing kidding me?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors