£5,000 intimate wedding help

posted 10 months ago in Reception
Post # 2
2804 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Are you not having a wedding breakfast? Canapés will not be enough for your guests.

Id get them to cost it up for you, but it doesn’t look like a £5k venue to me. You could also ask about off season or week day prices to keep costs down.

Post # 3
737 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

Typically British weddings involve being there all day and feeding guests canapes, lunch and dinner. If you are planning on slipping the meals, make sure your guests are aware so they can plan appropriately.

The venue charge is £1295. That leaves £3705 for your registrar fees (I think we paid about £600 for this with giving notice and having the ceremony), dress, suits, flowers, photographer, cake, entertainment (DJ/band), bridesmaids dresses, hair, makeup, rings etc. Weddings suddenly get much more expensive quickly!

My venue charge to just use the space was similar but by the time I’d just done food and drinks for 70, we paid our venue about 10x the venue charge.

Post # 4
751 posts
Busy bee

The 1295 is just for the use of the room. You still need everything else including the drinks and canapes.

I don’t think this is a £5000 wedding friendly venue

Post # 6
2804 posts
Sugar bee

I think you need to look elsewhere to be honest. For a UK wedding prioritise food and booze. That’s what guests enjoy the most. Then see what you have left in your budget. You can save money by marrying at the registry office and going to a non wedding venue for the reception.gypsymermaid :  

Post # 8
768 posts
Busy bee

Twizbe :  

gypsymermaid :  

Yes that’s pretty much what I’m doing. Humanist ceremony in a venue (couldn’t get availability at registry office) 

then booked a really nice local restaurant (who are used to doing weddings) for reception and dinner. Advantage of this is you doing pay venue (although ours has a minimum spend based on average take on that day over last two years) 

and because it is a working restaurant they take care of everything else from food and drink to tables / plates / clutters etc. Only one vendor to deal with and they don’t charge for that.

You might get one with the style you’re looking for if you look around. 

Just to note on your venue OP – it might be quite cold in October..just a thought.

Post # 10
2804 posts
Sugar bee

Stear clear of half term if you’re looking at October. The first weekend of half term is popular with teachers for getting married. 

I still think it will be too expensive for your budget and you need to make sure you give your guests a proper meal. gypsymermaid :  

Post # 12
2804 posts
Sugar bee

The drinks package will just be for drinks with the meal (not canapés / buffet) so you’ll to factor a bar tab as well. 

The buffet will be evening finger food, not enough for all day guests. They will get very drunk. 

I suspect this venue might come out at £5k without anything else.gypsymermaid :  

Post # 13
5582 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2018

Where is the buffet going to be in the evening?  You are probably looking at a venue hire for most places.

Is that the whole brochure?  It doesn’t look like you could have the venue for more than the 2 hours of canapes.  You also have to consider how it will work in October, people are unlikely to wonder the gardens with a drink when it is cold so all your guests will need to fit comfortably in the greenhouse. 

Post # 15
768 posts
Busy bee

gypsymermaid :  hair and make up for you, bridesmaids, mother?

shoes for all, wraps/shawls, veil, cars/transport?

does the venue charge for tables / table cloths etc? Do they charge for extra time at the venue?

where do tables and chairs go, is it standing canapés only?

there are ALWAYS unfactored costs – so yes you can do a wedding for £5000, but with a relatively bare bones venue like this (with a hire charge) you’ll need to sit down with the venue person and go through the whole day step by step, hour by hour and drink/canapé by drink/canapé to make sure you’re not missing anything as the brochure is pretty vague..

you wont really know the full picture til you do this. 

🤞 for you – it is pretty!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors