£5,000 intimate wedding help

posted 6 months ago in Reception
Post # 17
2671 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

You could look for a last min deal at this venue. If you get everything else sorted (dress etc) you could get on their list for any cancellations. Often they will sell on a wedding at cost (or near to cost) price if there is a last min cancellation. You can get some good deals that way. You would have to be flex on dates and ceremony time or have a symbolic ceremony and do the legal bit later. 

Travelling between venues isn’t a big thing really. We had a church wedding so had to do that. Not a problem. gypsymermaid :  

Post # 18
762 posts
Busy bee

gypsymermaid :  good work! I’m going pretty minimalist as well. No cars, flowers, mum making my dress etc. Costs have still mounted though, waayyyy more than I had in my head before planning. 

Ahh well – YOLO.

Post # 19
4710 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

gypsymermaid :  it says ceremony only so if you want to stay later then it sounds like it would be more (perhaps an hourly rate). VAT isn’t included, that’s a big chunk of money. 

FWIW our drinks and canapes were a similar cost. Plus £85 per head for a meal (but, there wasn’t a separate hire fee).

You need to contact them and explain what you want. Don’t rule it out because you’re not sure. Have you visited it?

I agree with PP about costs mounting!! Best of luck.

Post # 20
4710 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

gypsymermaid :  Just read some more about what you said… it’s fine if you don’t want a DJ. But you still need equipment to play it and someone to set it up. You could do it yourself if you know how but when would you do it? If not you then who? And if you pay someone…?

I used to work for a national hire and events company. There are cheaper options out there but their charges would have been £120 for the kit, plus delivery (local delivery £40 each way) and if you want it set up and taken down you need to add about £200. Prices are ex VAT.

I did DIY hair, but I had to buy some pro hair pins in order to do it. Not excessive by any stretch but all mounting costs.

Given the price is ceremony only they could add for setting up tables and chairs, I’ve seen £3.50 +VAT per chair. And tables. And linen. Even if you do a buffet you could be looking at £25pp +VAT especially if your have to pay extra to use non preferred caterers. And then £15 or more per hour for staff to do it. They may insist that if it’s over X hours you pay for their events planner, that could be £300 for the day.

Crazy, but I’ve seen it plenty of times both when we were planning our own wedding and professionally. 

Post # 21
321 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2019

Why don’t you guys have a small court house ceremony (by small I mean literally you both and two witnesses) and then a big reception party for guests.

Inviting guests to an all day ceremony without offering a meal is rude (in my humble opinion.) So if you can’t afford it, I wouldn’t do it. A lot of venues in the UK charge per head per meal + per head per drinks + per head per canapes, and canapes are usually to hold the guests hunger whilst they wait for the meal.

It sucks but weddings are super expensive and vendors tend to add 000’s to their price tag. 

Post # 22
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2019

Definitely get an itemised quote if you like this place you won’t know for sure until you ask.

You need to understand how long you will have the venue for, most of the places near me that do ceremony+canapes rather than a full reception give you the venue for 2-3 hours total, and you wouldn’t be able to have an evening buffet as well. Ceremony+canapes is a perfectly acceptable way to have a wedding that’s a little non-traditional but very beautiful if that’s what you want, it’s just a shorter time period to celebrate.

If you want longer and you’re open to having an after party at a separate place, that could work out really well with this. For example you could add an evening buffet for the sort of prices you are talking about at a pub that has a private room or reserved area. Plenty of people do that.

If you’re at the early stage and haven’t costed much out, it might be helpful to know that the venue + food typically works out at about 50% of the total budget. If this comes in wildly above £2.5k in total it just means you would have to cut down all the other things more than is typical for a £5k wedding (and that is a low-ish budget to start off with for 40 guests).

Post # 23
220 posts
Helper bee

I agree with short123. It sounds like you can have a wedding here for under £5000 if you have a two hour wedding with ceremony, a few drinks and a few canapés and then bring the wedding to a close. You’d need to make sure people were aware this is what was happening and do it at a time where people wouldn’t be expecting a meal (idk 3-5?), but it could be lovely if the weather was good.

If you’re expecting them to stay into the evening, and to have dancing etc then a) this doesn’t seem like the right venue, and b) you should provide a proper meal, not just a few canapés.

Post # 24
233 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2019

I tried to plan a $5,000 wedding for 40 people and trust me, it’s nearly impossible. Nearly everything will be DIY meaning you or your family will need to be there to set up and break down. Some brides are ok with that, I however didn’t want to spend my wedding day setting up instead of having enough time to relax and get ready. Photography and videography are very expensive, food can get very expensive. There are almost always other fees included in vendor contracts. 

Your best bet would be going with a nice restaurant for the reception. We ended up deciding not to have a traditional wedding and just having an intimate elopement/weekend vacation with family for less than our original $5,000 budget. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors