(Closed) $5000 Wedding? Can it be done?

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 3
376 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

All I can say is research research research…doing alot of DIY can help cut down cost too. Hope all your planning goes well!

Post # 4
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

We have a $5000 budget and we are doing everything for $4200 🙂 It can be done

Post # 5
1962 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

We’re doing ours for less than $5,000. Like the previous poster said do your research like crazy! We had to come to a decision of cutting people off the list (most cost effective) or finding a different wedding style. For the ceremony we found a little township historical society and they are letting us use their one room school house for cheap. They even offered a tent and chairs for a reception if we wanted. You never know what you find until you do some digging! Check out everything you can and make sure you look at places that don’t usually see weddings. At our venue we would be the first couple to be married there. I think they have been so willing because it may help increase publicity for the site.

If you have friends or family with large properties see if you can have the ceremony or reception there. Our reception, for instance, will be at my Uncle’s (too many houses near the schoolhouse so I’m worried about noise complaints). If anyone has a large barn you could do a rustic theme and dress it up. For ours we are having a picnic theme so that cuts down on food quite a bit too. Picnic foods are much cheaper!

I would also try looking through the search engine on here for some budget breakdowns… there have been some great ones for 6k and less in the last year.

Oh and like the previous poster said: DIY! That will be your best friend! Just be careful because some projects will cost more than buying depending on the materials unless you really utilize craft store coupons. I’m not sure if you have a Michaels near you, but they always have 40% off coupons.

Post # 6
2965 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I know I may not be from where you are from but we had to end up finding a venue almost 2 hrs away from where we are because it was more affordable there than where I live. I know that may sound like a hassle but you could end up saving thousands like Fiance and I did. We found an all inclusive venue for 3K including taxes. This venue includes tables, chairs, centerpieces, linens, food, drinks (non-alcoholic but since we are having a small wedding and only doing a champagne toast, they allowed us to bring that without making us get security and they are throwing in a champagne fountain) all decorations for ceremony, a DJ and chairs for the outdoor ceremony. So we basically got everything covered except for the cake, photographer, officiant (they actually recommended us one and we are meeting with him next wk) and the flowers. We are DIY our wedding flowers. Im ordering them from wholeblossoms.com. I bought my wedding dress from ebay for 159.XX (I would suggest knowing exactly what you want before ordering a dress online). I found a great quality photographer, he costs $500 for 4 hrs, and I know who is doing my cake because they have done my cakes before but Im not sure how much they are going to cost me yet. Also Im purchasing my veil from valuveil.com. Research, research, research!!!!! I cannot speak that enough to you. First, what you and Fiance need to do is set the budget, find a venue, pick colors BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!!!! I know it may be tempting to go wedding dress shopping right now or call up all 12 (I may be exaggerating) of your friends and ask them to be your bridesmaids but that is the mistakes Ive made and now Im paying for them. I have 6 BMs when I wish I would have just asked 3 and I ended up having to buy a 2nd wedding dress because I bought the first dress before I made a budget or did anything else now the dress just didnt fit the overall wedding vision.

Post # 7
4485 posts
Honey bee

People get married with way less than $5K everyday. It’s all about priorities. Sit down and decide what you must have and what you don’t want. Cake and punch is the least expensive and most traditional (it’s been done much longer than dinners actually) reception. Cut out the alcohol which is a huge expense.

Post # 8
1715 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

The favorite wedding I ever heard of the couple had found a Justice of the Peace and invited there friends and family to meet them at some place in town. They didnt tell anyone till they got there that it was the wedding. He knocked on someones door and asked the lady if they could have a wedding in her yard in 10 minutes since her flowers where so beautiful. They proceed after the ceremony down the road and he dropped by a few pizzarias and found one will to shut down for the night and serve pizza and beer all night to his friends. Everyone had fun and very little stress for the bride and groom.

Post # 9
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

You can absolutely have a wedding for $5K.  The best savers are time of day and guest list – under 100 guests midafternoon is the cheapest.  A formal ceremony doesn’t cost much more than an informal one – it’s about what you make of it, and what you make for it!  DIY will become your friend, and you will be a wedding groupie at Michaels.

Where in NY are you?  I’m in Albany, getting married in Saratoga – and there are some other NY brides on these boards that can help out with ideas.

Post # 10
2965 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I also wanted to add on to the cake and punch idea… you could have a real classy cake with a glass of sparkling wine or (for the kids if you’re having any) sparkling white grape juice… Just please dont get those confused!!! I also believe it does matter what day, time of day and the type of colors you choose that could be budget friendly. Research this idea.

Post # 11
140 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Research, research, research before you sign anything!!! We originally had a $5k budget and are now over because we signed contracts before realizing how expensive certain things (like exclusive caterers) are!

Good luck!

Post # 12
7693 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

It may be challenging, but it is definitely not impossible.  My daughter’s was only $5K.  Choose your priorities,  be flexible, and know where to look for the best bargains.  🙂

Post # 13
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I love the idea of doing a truly vintage wedding. Look into the beautiful wartime weddings of the 1950’s. Sweet, romantic, meaningful and to the point – getting married! Or think super outside the box. Is there anything you and your Fiance really like to do?  I always thought it would be fun to get married in the morning and then have a huge party at the beach or lake. BBQ and a really cute white bathing suit. Or if your into sports ( my Fiance and I love football). Getting married and then going to a sporting event with all your guests. You could do the same with a show. Even buying 100 people tickets to play would be cheaper than a traditional reception

Post # 14
1446 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

We are doing a wedding with about 75 guests for under 5k. It will be an hors d’oeuvres and dessert reception on a Sunday afternoon. We are using a venue about an hour away in a rural area which saved a lot of money, as did having it on a Sunday. DIY invites, programs, flowers, guest book…it can be done. Just do tons of research!

Post # 15
2135 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I am hoping to keep our wedding costs under $4000. We are getting married in a state park, (which means the site is $150). We are having a family friend do our cake. I am wearing my mothers dress (my cousin altered and modified it for a cheaper price). We will only serve wine and beer.

I think it can be done!

The topic ‘$5000 Wedding? Can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors