(Closed) $5000 Wedding? Can it be done?

posted 10 years ago in Money
Post # 17
9971 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

It really depends on where.  Even with a lot of DIY and very casual reception, in my area I think it would be next to impossible to pull off.  Definitely do a ton of research, try to do an off-season wedding, an off-time (Sunday brunch instead of Saturday night), and look for the groupons you can take advantage of! 

Post # 18
45 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It is very do-able, you just have to look everywhere.  I spent weeks looking for a venue and thought i would never find something nice and not plain and boring.  We are getting married on a sunday because we got the weekday price with it still being a weekend.  We were fine to have it during the week to have a “better” wedding.  We are not decoratig with flowers, just using them for the ceremony, that cuts alot of costs.  By choosing a pretty venue, we dont need many decorations at all, just some candles for each table.  We are using alot of people just starting out ex: photographer is a freelancer trying to make a name for themselves so we are getting a great deal.  We are doing a small buffet, not a big seated dinner, that is saving a huge amount.

Things like that make a big difference.

Post # 19
148 posts
Blushing bee

Of course it can be done! Here’s our budget breakdown:

Rings (my e-ring and wedding band, his wedding band) total: $850
My dress: $950

Honeymoon: $1300 (CO road trip and renting a cabin for 5 nights)
Reception Location: Free! (it’s my mom’s house 🙂
Reception Food: dessert buffet, about 150 people, about $1000
Invitations: Free! (my uncle is a graphic designer and is making them)
Reception Decor: $200 

Total=$4300 🙂 ENTIRELY doable!

Post # 20
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

It can be done!

Reception Hall: $1,000

Caterer: $1,000

DJ: $450

Photographer: $1200

Alcohol: $1,100

Those are the main things, and then a couple hundred more for small stuff like linens, paper products etc. We skipped out on flowers, decorations for the church, we made our centerpieces out of wood(free), wine glasses from the dollar store for the wedding party. My sister in law made our cake, we did not do a videographer…there’s some things you can pass on, just make a list of whats most important to you and go from there.

Post # 22
403 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would suggest finding a venue that lets you bring in your own food and alcohol – even if the venue itself is a little more expensive.  You will save SO much money if you’re not restricted to certain caterers and if you can hop over to Trader Joe’s and buy all of your own beer and wine – you don’t need to have a full open bar.  We did beer, wine, and a signature drink and everyone was happy.  If your wedding is small enough, and depending on the rules of the place you end up renting, you don’t necessarily need to hire a bartender.

We spent just $5000 on our wedding for 40 people, and there were certainly things we could have done much more cheaply.  You just need to think outside the wedding box and go for vendors and ideas that may not be associated with weddings.  

Post # 23
21 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2012

If you have any gift cards that you could use to buy stuff for your wedding use those first. If you have any talented friends call on them to help. Someone is going to be my DJ, Make up artist, and Photographer. Three different people! Figure out how much percent you should spend on the wedding for each item. My budget was $5k, so I made sure I didn’t go over $300 for my dress because that was the percent the books said I should spend. Use Groupons, Living Social, etc., to find deals on stuff that you would need-getting my hair/nails/massage for half the price. Go to a grocery store to buy your cake Walmart does cakes and they don’t look half bad. My venue is giving me the room for free as long as I spend a minimum food/beverage. It also includes my linens/chairs/tables, staff, etc., Hope this helps! I may recant all of this btw my wedding is Saturday, so I’ll let you know what works! Kiss

The topic ‘$5000 Wedding? Can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors