(Closed) $5000 wedding in new york

posted 4 years ago in New York City
Post # 2
1178 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

How about a restaurant? Instead of paying for catering and the venue, just have the reception in a nice restaurant

Post # 3
502 posts
Busy bee

I’m from bklyn..maybe I can ask around. 

Post # 5
667 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Woof. We are doing 50 people for about 6k all in in Brooklyn. I can pm on you the restaurant name. 

I considered the Vanderok house in bushwick (on flushing) but I think either I didn’t like the look of the place or it was too small inside and the tent rental would put us over budget. 

Honesty when I was looking at event spaces the table rentals and venue rental plus catering was always more than I wanted to spend and I feel we are getting a better value with a restaurant. 

I have a spreadsheet of the places we looked at with prices, if you want to see it lmk your email address privately and I’ll send it to you 

Post # 6
26 posts
Newbee

<u>k8goeslz mrstopaz </u>@k8goeslz @mrstopaz – I am in the same boat. I live in Bangkok so the issue is compacted by the fact that I can’t plan much until I’m back in NY. Right now, the current thinking is 50-80 guests in a Brooklyn restaurant; exactly for the reasons you mention (rentals, minimizing logistical hassle, etc). Although you save a ton on alcohol by going DIY, the line items end up adding up… mrstopaz – how about getting a spacious apartment via airbnb? a picnic? brunch/lunch reception? maybe shop around a venue that is normally closed during that time, shop front, workshop, gallery… 

k8goeslz If you could contact me with the restaurant spreadsheet I would be SO grateful. I thought 10K would be doable for a Thursday/Friday evening, but am panicking that it’ll come closer to 20K.  

Post # 7
502 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mrstopaz :  My bosses daughter is a wedding planner…I will ask her when I go back to work next week. I’m on vacation 🙂

Post # 8
1008 posts
Bumble bee

Check out Diety http://deitynyc.com/

They do affordable weddings in BK. One of my friends got married there are she loved the experience – they really try to work in your budget!

Post # 9
95 posts
Worker bee

Deity is an all-inclusive situation that requires you to use their caterer as part of the package, so I suspect they’re not what the OP is looking for. My recollection is that ~100 people there would have been around $20k without even including the bar tab, so they wouldn’t be at the top of my list for the OP.

Check out Brooklyn Society for Ethical Culture and the Old Stone House! Possibly slightly on the pricey side if your total goal is $5k, but IIRC both rent by the hour at what passes for reasonable prices in NY, both will let you bring in your own food and alcohol, and include some of the incidentals like tables and chairs that can nibble at the edges of your budget. 

Post # 10
542 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I went to a wedding on Long Island in someone’s yard and the family cooked all the food.  It was the prettiest garden wedding ever and I am sure it was budget friendly!

Post # 11
1411 posts
Bumble bee

Maybe see if you can get a park permit? I believe the only cost there is the permit fee itself. I’m getting married in Manhattan, but I don’t have any budget tips for you- I would love to see pics afterwards tho!

Post # 12
5 posts
Newbee

OP you and I are in the same situation.  I’ve been looking forever.  Following thread. 

Post # 13
223 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
mrstopaz :  I live in Brooklyn, as well. However, I will be getting married Upstate in the Hudson Valley area. If you don’t mind leaving the city for your wedding, places like Tarrytown and Red Hook have a lot of beautiful venues that are more affordable than what you’d be able to find in Brooklyn. Plus, the scenery and history are amazing! 

If you prefer to stay in Brooklyn, I know that there are a lot of cool venues around where I live, in Williamsburg. You may want to check out Union Pool, as well as restaurants with garden areas.

Post # 15
26 posts
Newbee

Thanks mrstopaz  – ours is going to be essentially a destination wedding for 75% of the guests, so it needs to be a bit more accessible to Manhattan. The herb garden is stunning otherwise! k8goeslz seems to be holding the golden ticket for reasonably priced celebrations in NYC!

The topic ‘$5000 wedding in new york’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors