(Closed) $535 for Alterations & Pressing?! Seriously?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
4824 posts
Honey bee

That sounds very typical, especially including the pressing/steaming.

Post # 4
135 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Maybe you should shop around and see if anyone can do it at a more resonable price.

Post # 5
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I paid just under $150 for a bustle -only 1 layer- and sew in gel cups.

I would perhaps give yourself a couple days to call around and get some price quotes.

Call tailors that specialize in event gowns. Contact the local chapter of your American Sewing Guild, I was able to find a local seamstress that way.

Post # 6
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

For what you have listed to be done, the cost of the alterations seems very reasonable to me. I am paying $422.99 for my seamstress to shape and let out the bust, reset the lace, put in a 6 point French bustle, and to steam/press it for me. Altering a wedding gown requires a lot of work and time, and I am happy to pay my seamstress to do these alterations for me for the price she is charging. She is very good at what she does, and I really don’t want to do it myself. I am also a seamstress and I know how much work and time goes into alterations. You can always shop around for another seamstress, but you will probably find the prices comparable, or you could just try to find something off the rack that doesn’t need alterations, but you could end up paying just as much for something off the rack as you would for the alterations.

Post # 7
7174 posts
Busy Beekeeper

You could try to find another seamstress that will do it for cheaper.  That sounds a lot more doable than trying to find another dress.

But, to answer your question – yes, that price does sound right, if you are going through a bridal shop.  You might want to see if you can ask the seamstress if she works on the side and pay her in cash… 

Post # 9
446 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Part by part, that might be reasonable but over $500 sounds absolutely ridiculous to me! I guess if you originally got a really expensive dress at a super cheap price 5 sizes too big I might understand but it all depends, of course, on how much you paid, how difficult or time consuming the alterations are, whether you are getting it altered by the same shop you bought the dress at, whether you expected to be paying that much when you bought the dress, etc.

I would definitely take it for a second opinion OR just simply ask if they could reduce the price for you.  A lot of times, all you have to do is ask 🙂 I would think if the store you bought it from is doing the alterations, they should be able to cut you a break since they are already making a profit on your dress.

Post # 10
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

Wow! that is ridiculous!!!! sheesh… you put the word wedding on something and people just go crazy!

sigh… Hope you can find someone that can do something for less for you 😉

The topic ‘$535 for Alterations & Pressing?! Seriously?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors