(Closed) 5Ways to Tell you’re Ovulating & Done Ovulating

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
152 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Hmmm…just had a quick peek and I found a couple things that are not quite accurate.  

1. They mention that you ovulate about half way through your cycle, which is generally true if you have a 28 day cycle (and they also mention that) but in the same breath they say an average cycle can run anywhere from 23 to 35 days.  If your cycle is longer than 28 days – then it’s best not to go by “ovulation happens half way through my cycle”.  It’s better to look forward in the calendar to when you expect your next period – and then count back 14 days (average luteal phase length).  So for instance – if a woman has a 35 day cycle – halfway through her cycle would be day 17.  However she probably won’t start ovulating until day 21 (based on an average 14 day luteal phase).   That’s a pretty big difference, and if someone thinks they are ovulating around day 17 and figures by day 21 their chances have passed – they may miss the egg completely! 

So yeah…ovulation day = your average cycle length MINUS 14 days.

2. While OPK’s detect your LH surge…they can not say for certain that you are actually ovulating.  Some woman get an LH surge but do not release an egg.  Thus it’s not a guarantee that you are ovulating.  For most it is a great indicator…but just wanted to let people know that it’s not 100%

Both of these things are actually in the bestest book ever made about the basics of trying to conceive (heh) – Taking Charge of Your Fertility!  I lend my copy to all my friends who are just starting out!

Post # 4
2792 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@echo: I actually found your post more helpful than the website! I have long cycles so you reiterated what I thought I already knew πŸ™‚

Post # 6
152 posts
Blushing bee

@MrsMaine: oh good – I’m glad you found it helpful!  Didn’t want to appear as though I was trying to be a know it all πŸ™‚   But I would hate for someone to miss the egg by doing the wrong calculation!!

@LoveliestLove:Isn’t it a great book?  I’m in science so I just loved reading through it, and then charting and learning all about my cycle!  It was my own mini-science experiment – haha.

Post # 8
3871 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Yeah I’m not TTC at the moment but my OB/Gyn Dr knows that the next time I see her I will be pregnant.  I told her at my last visit that I was charting.  She told me to skip the charting and to just look for EWCM. 

Post # 9
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Having been there done that for quite awhile, I second @echo. I swear figuring ovulation out is like a science project where there is no true 100% way for everyone.

Post # 10
2522 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Also if you want to know when you’re most fertile is to start wiping before you urinate several times a day and view the cervical fluid.  As you get closer to ovulation, your cervical fluid becomes very stretchy and clearish, like egg whites.  You may even notice a tinge of blood after ovulation as some women bleed a bit when they ovulate.  You’ll also feel wet/damp down there throughout the day and perhaps a heaviness inside.

EDIT: Yrret107 beat me to it πŸ™‚

Post # 11
152 posts
Blushing bee

@ttn133:  I wish I could have just went by cervical fluid!  Unfortunately 12 years of oral contraceptives (and perhaps the Mirena didn’t help either) left me kinda “high and dry” hah!   Some cycles were definitely better than others, but egg white cervical fluid was never “obvious” for me.  So in my case – the charting + OPK’s definitely made a huge difference. 

I worried that perhaps the lack of EW cervical fluid was causing issues for us, and so I ended up buying PreSeed (semen-safe lubricant) and low and behold the very first month we used it I ended up pregnant.  Had a very early miscarriage that cycle unfortunately, but used the preseed again the very next cycle and got pregnant again.  That was our 5th and 6th cycle of TTC.  And everythign else about my cycle was super regular (28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14).  Could have been coincidence, but it was worth the try for us!

Having said that, if we hadn’t been in a bit of a rush when TTC (I’m 36 so didn’t feel as though we good just take our time – heh)  I definitely would have started out checking the easy stuff first (instead of charting temps right away).  

Post # 12
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Thanks for the post! πŸ™‚ I knew the basics but it’s always good to have a refresher and for someone that is just starting to TTC like moi…it’s easy to lose sight of these!

Thanks again! πŸ™‚

The topic ‘5Ways to Tell you’re Ovulating & Done Ovulating’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors