- 6 years ago
- Wedding: March 2013
Hi, I need some help or perspective, or something…I don’t know. I’ve spent the last two days alternating between crying and serious anger, frustration, and disappointment.
My fiance and I have been planning a destination wedding in Thailand. We live in Maldives, my family is in Australia, his here. We can’t marry here because I’m a foreginer, so we decided on Thailand as it was a half way point between both our home countries, and it was supposed to be simple to marry in Thailand.
For the papers I need to legally marry in Thailand it will take us about 1 hour at the Aus Embassy in Bangkok. For my fiance, we have been on a cycle of 6 months of round and round trying to find out what papers we would need, where we get them from, and how to have them attested, authenticated, and approved for the Thai for him to be allowed to marry legally. We’d gotten everything we’ve been told by the legal representative in Thailand that we could need for my fiance to marry, we’ve had them attested by the relevant Govt Departments, then by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Maldives, and sent them to Bangkok for the guy at the Honorary Consul to Maldives to check if they’re ok. He says that he has sent them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 30 Jan for confirmation, and will let me know once he has it. I spoke to the Ministry today and they have nothing from him. He has given me different information every time I’ve asked him anything from the very beginning (6 months at least). We have the added difficulty of doing this in a combination of 3 languages. My fiance has to do the talking here, and I’m trying to do everything with the reps in Thailand. my mum is in Australia, so we’re doing everything just us two, there’s noone else I can go to for help, no bridal party…
We had been informed and convinced that this would be all we would need, and that we would be able to marry legally but now we seem to be unable to get confirmation of this. The whole point of us being married in Thailand was to get legally married, and now it seems that we will be able to have the fake pretty wedding and reception but not be legally married. We could have done that here, if we can’t get legally married there we might as well call the whole thing off. From our money perspective, we’ll only lose our deposit (about $300) as we are due to pay 50% of the quote next week.
What I’m most concerned with at this point is that it may cost a few of the family fees to cancel flights…or they will lose all of it. Mum and dad can’t cancel theirs, so they will likely go for a holiday there anyway. I can’t bear the thought of going there now if we’re unable to get married. I’ve told my mum that I will wear the cost of any fees that people have to incur if they change/cancel flights, but it’s not the point…We are supposedly paying for a legalisation service that is not really helping us at all…they just keep asking how it’s all going, and saying fingers crossed. I don’t need “fingers crossed”!!!!!
I’m just so pissed off now that I can’t even think straight. Anyone else out there had it all start to go wrong so close to the date, and have to cancel?
Sorry for the novel…needed to vent I guess. At least I made it through typing this without tears, gotta be a record for the day. Thanks for listening