Post # 1
The boyfriend and I will make our final decisions on getting engaged this summer, July/August time frame. I am hoping for a early March 2011 wedding. As I am pricing vendors many of them keep pressuring me to make a deposit and reserve a date now even though the engagement isn’t formalized – they are saying if I wait until July/August — 6 to 7 months notice won’t be enough time and they will already be booked for March by then. I am not sure if this is high-pressure sales or if they are are serious. But, having had previous enagements fall through I am not going to commit to a date now when the church/date isn’t even set yet.
1) How much notice did you give your photograher and florist?
2) Anybody here have a short (6 month) time frame? What (if any) were your vendor issues?
I already have a venue/caterer and musician. My only 2 vendors left are flowers and photos…
Post # 3
it really depends on the area and the luck of draw.
we booked our florist/photog in february for our september wedding
and we also booked our cake lady in march
my photog was my #1 choice and we were grateful they weren’t booked yet.
up here there is an “off-season” from nov-march where vendors aren’t as busy nor as expensive so it would work… but in houston, the weather might not play a big role in “off-season” i would just do some more research and find out what’s available.
also, are you ready to make financial committments at this time?
Post # 4
I was only engaged 4 1/2 months and probably didn’t go up to where our wedding was and talk to vendors till like 3 1/2 months, no one seemed to have a problem, it was in NJ.
Post # 5
I have the cash, that’s not the problem. I’m not even concerned that the boyfriend will bail. But, in our culture our families need to meet and bless the engagement before we appraoch the church and I have some personal goals to accomplish before I commit to the enagement (all are on-track). I can’t commit to a date yet because the most important part (booking the church) has not been done yet and I am not even sure that the church is available on the date I wan’t. When I get the date set at the church, I will be ready to plunk down the cash.
Post # 6
We started planning our wedding 7 months before… and only started picking out our vendors and other things about 5-6 months before (right now)… the #1 photog I wanted wasn’t an option, and reception venue choices were limited, but we’ve had no issues at all. Maybe in Houston there is a higher demand, but it has not been a problem for us.
Post # 7
photographer: Jesse Monreal 713.515.5993
he did my bridal shoot which was in the blue bonnets, our engagement session, and our wedding which is gonna be this July 😛 if you wanna see some of my pics that he did i have them on FB just add me as a friend my link is
hope this helps 🙂
Post # 8
We found every vendor but the venue by attending a bridal expo. We had two dates available at the venue- 2 months out or 8 months out. That is why we chose the expo- to talk to as many possibilities as possible- to see if 2 months was possible.
We got married in early March and had no problem finding vendors. I highly recommend the bridal expo to feel out the availability of vendors.
Our florist had no problem with our timeline- we signed the contract 3 weeks out.
Post # 9
We booked our photographer about a year out. I would suggest looking ASAP, so that you know who you will want to contact. Luckily, March is a down time for weddings, so you may luck out and get someone you like without much hassle. BUT, if you can, I would suggest getting your venue/photog sorted out sooner than 6-7 months if possible. I know my photog tends to be 100% booked about 10 months out. Florists can service multiple weddings on any given date, so you have more date flexibility there…