(Closed) 6-8 month engagement vs 18-20 month engagement?

posted 4 years ago in Logistics
  • poll: What would you pick?
    6-8 months : (89 votes)
    52 %
    18 - 20 months : (81 votes)
    48 %
  • Post # 16
    3244 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

Seven ish months for me. Perfect. Got everything done and didn’t have to wait endlessly. But we just wanted to be married so we preferred the short engagement

Post # 17
    623 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2016

Our engagement will be 14 months. Now that we are 3 months away, I vote 6-8! I could’ve done everything in like a month! It just depends on how quickly you can get a venue you want and if you have to wait to save up. If you already have money saved and you don’t really care about a particular venue, go earlier!

Post # 17
    2040 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

Definitely depends what is happening in your life. We had a year-long engagement and also decided to buy and compltely renovate a house for eight months prior to the wedding. Also, my work was nutty around the time of my wedding so it was just stressful all-around. I wish we had either waited a few months to another year to get married, or put off the renovation until after the wedding. I am glad that it’s done now though, so I voted for 18-20 months… 🙂

Post # 18
    3114 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2016 - Surfer\'s Beach, Grand Cayman

We initially booked our venue with a 15 month engagement planned but recently decided that we would rather scale it down and do it much sooner, so we will have a 7 month engagement instead and are already half way through! We are in our 30’s and want to start a family right away, so for me it was like why am I putting that off just for a fancy party? We just want to be married.

Post # 19
    3725 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

tmilligan10:  I had a 19 month engagement. If I could do it all over again, I would have had a 7 month engagement. Totally doable and not worth dragging it out if you can swing it.

Post # 21
    514 posts
    Busy bee

It depends if vendors have availability, we planned our wedding in 1 week, sourced vendors etc. however we are having a 2017 wedding as the local church was fully booked for all Saturdays and Sundays in 2016, same applied to 99% of the nice reception venues. We had to have a Sunday in 2017 as the church was being booked up until 2019 😮

Post # 22
    99 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

My engagement is exactly a year. Could have certainly planned it in less than that though. I have six months to go and I’m so bored and anxious! I would suggest sooner rather than later! Unless you’re super busy and will have no time to do planning in the next 8 months, wait. But if you have time, you can totally pull it off. I’m in school and working full time, and wedding planning is like my therapy, not stressful like everyone said it would be! Hope this helps! 

Post # 23
    2054 posts
    Buzzing bee

We got engaged about three weeks ago too and are getting married this upcoming August.  We are getting married on a Friday because all of the venues were booked Saturdays but other than that I feel like we have more than enough time. 

Post # 24
    372 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2017

tmilligan10:   I read an article recently that said engagements which are four months or shorter and engagements which are 15 months and longer are the least stressful for the bride. Shorter engagements means you have fewer options which actually ends up being less stressful, because you pick from what is available and works in your timeframe and then don’t have time to Stress or go back-and-forth about if you made the right decision. For longer engagements, having all that extra time means you can do plenty of research look through a million different options and then have plenty of time to narrow it down and find exactly what it is that you want without feeling rushed. 

Mine would have been 16 months the first time (which I called off after 4 months) and my current one will be 17 months. I’m completely type A and an OCD perfectionist, so I like the idea of having so much time to research and having so many options. 

Post # 25
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

I wanted a short-ish engagement.  Engaged last weekend of August, married by mid-June 2016.

However, I was in the same boat as you – EVERYWHERE was already booked for Saturdays in May and June 2016.  I wasn’t willing to compromise on the date/time of year, and my Fiance is okay with a wait so we pushed it to 2017.

It is hard to wait, but I am a HUGE perfectionist.  I’m just telling myself that gives me more time to make everything perfect.  It’s kind of nice to not rush on picking a venue, dress, etc.

Post # 26
    1017 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2017

I’m 8 months into a 26month engagement. But I’m currently a final year student so I wanted to wait for a year after I graduate to start working and earning money. I quickly discovered that wedding planning is absolutely no fun when broke so I’m happy to put it off. If I was working/settled in my job I’d say our engagement would have been a lot shorter.

Post # 27
    212 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2016

So neither one of your families live in the state you currently live in? are both your families from the same state? are you are planning the wedding in the state you live in curently? or where you are from?

If me and my Fiance lived in a state where we had no family or friends, I would have the wedding where everyone else is, (assuming both your familes are from the same state) you will ge a much better showup rate, plus you will have alot more help from family and friends with putting evrything together.

Post # 28
    698 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

I was engaged from November-July.  I could have done it in less, too.  My wedding was not very elaborate and while we did have a couple days of GO GO GO to get stuff booked, sign contracts, collect things from antique stores to put flowers in, etc, we could have probably done it in  4-5 months very easily still. 

I’m rather high-strung (I have an anxiety disorder, a smidgen of OCD) and trying to do a wedding in any more time would have made me so, so bad.  I was so anxious about stupid things like the colours of the napkins and if my idea was original enough.  I think any more time and it would have consumed me completely and made me a crazy.  If you might be one of those people who would be really into planning and want it to be perfect, maybe give less time. It’ll tone down the amount of time you can change your mind and try to perfect things.  (and to be honest, I can’t even remember what our napkins were or how our chairs looked or anything … so.  It wasn’t worth the stress)

Post # 29
    172 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2016

congrats on your engagement! When I get married I will have been engaged for 18 months. At first, I thought this was too long and had hoped for a 12 month engagement. Now that my wedding in 5 months away I am so happy that we did 18 months! My fiance and I have been able to save and thoroughly enjoy planning our wedding at our pace as we were not rushed to do anything. I would highly recommned the longer engagment! this is your time to be engaged relax and enjoy it!

and the time flew by! somehow i blinked and my wedding is almost here

Post # 30
    515 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2016

By time I get married it will be a 2 year 4 month engagement. We knew from the get go that 2015 would not be the year we would get married as a family member of his had already set her date in September and we didn’t want  to do it in the same year as her. At first it totally didn’t matter to me that it was 2 years away but while I saw his family member planning her wedding I got super anxious and really couldn’t wait for my wedding and second guessed the 2 year wait. Now that I have actually started to plan and book things I am SO relieved that we chose to wait, I could not imagine having to plan a wedding in a short span of time. 2 years was perfect and now my wedding is less than a year away, time flew. 

The topic ‘6-8 month engagement vs 18-20 month engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors