(Closed) 6-8 month engagement vs 18-20 month engagement?

posted 4 years ago in Logistics
  • poll: What would you pick?
    6-8 months : (89 votes)
    52 %
    18 - 20 months : (81 votes)
    48 %
  • Post # 46
    376 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2018 - City Hall

I say it really depends! I planned my first wedding in 6 months without problem. This time around I want to do things “right”, and my “right” means expensive. He is proposing in two weeks, but we are moving in together two months, to another state, job hunting, house hunting, etc. So to save money we decides to get married in 2018 – 2019. Most people tell us to just not get engaged unless we are ready to have the wedding in a year. But, we are getting engaged because we are ready to be married, we just agreed that the wedding needs to be a bigger deal than we originally thought (big family) and paying it all ourselves, we want to avoid debt. So saving!

So really, do whatever feels right to you! I prefer long engagements because, sure, it IS stressful to plan, but if you have a long engagement theres a gew months you dont have to worry about planning cuz its too soon for that stuff and all you do is relax and enjoy being engaged 🙂

Post # 47
    85 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

Our engagement is about 22 months. We didn’t really plan until a year before (just venue) everything else was planned within 7 months. If you just can’t wait to be married I think 6-8 months is good (as long as you go dress shopping right away 😉 ). Plus weddings only get more and more expensive as the years pass. 

Post # 48
    907 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

We are having a 17-month engagement, and I think it’s been too long. We got engaged in June, and wanted to get married in the fall. Due to some other weddings and travel commitments, Fall 2015 was not an option. So, we waited. It gives you a long time to ruminate over the most inane choices. We had too much time to think about things.

Post # 49
    270 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

We’re in a 5-ish month engagement. He proposed 2 days before march ( on our anniversary), and we’re getting married this July. Surprisingly a lot less challenging than I thought it would be, considering we have a kid, I’m back in school, and work as well.

I think it just depends on the couple and of course those VIP’s. Our families first questions after congratulatory remarks were “when are you all getting married?”, assuming it to be this year. All are thrilled to come to Malibu this summer.

The topic ‘6-8 month engagement vs 18-20 month engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors