(Closed) 6 bridesmaids, but how many dress styles?

posted 10 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I think varied dresses actually look better for larger parties!  Sometimes if a small bridal party wears different dresses they just look mismatched, but you have enough girls to show a theme while still not having the girls look like they’re wearing exactly the same dress.  The key is to either have them all wear the exact same dress but in different colours, or have them all wear a dress that is by the same designer in the same colour and fabric but each can choose their own dress style.  Either way looks great.  Don’t worry if you’ve already purchased the same exact dress for each girl though – that always looks nice too.  But if you haven’t ordered yet and you really like the mix & match look, you have a good size bridal party to pull it off so go for it.

Post # 4
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I let my (five) bridesmaids pick from two different styles (same color and fabric), but they all ended up picking the same style!

Post # 5
4 posts
Wannabee

i have 7 bridesmaids and 1 jr bridesmaid. i started off with just 4 of them trying on all the dress of the same kind (the other girls were unavailable) and i didn’t like how they looked al the same.  i brought them all back and let them pick and m very happy with them al with different dresses but the same color  🙂

Post # 6
1061 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

i have 6 attendants — i picked the color and fabric and they’re picking the tea-length style.

Post # 7
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I also have 6 and they are all wearing their chosen style from the Aria dress line, in midnight.  3 picked v-neck, one picked halter, one picked bateau neck, and one will be in one of the maternity styles.  It worked out great for us, and I’d highly recommend it. I was worried that 5 would pick one style, and one would be odd-man-out, but it worked out beautifully!

Post # 8
179 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I have 6 maids and I gave them the option of 3 dresses in one color and 2 dresses in another color (hopefully it will look complimentary).  I have 5 different dresses and the colors are 3 and 3.  I’m really excited to see how it turns out.  Everyone picked the colors and styles themselves (though I did "guide" my sister to pick a different dress than she originally picked – hey she offered to change! and that was the same color different style)

Post # 9
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

we had 6 bridesmaids and 2 junior bridesmaids.  The six bridesmaids ended up wearing the same dress because  they only had 4 dresses that came in that color and only 2 fit the criteria– we picked the prettier of the two and it fit everyone really well.  The junrior bridesmaids wore dresses of similar style to the bridesmaids, but they were a lighter color (and had spaghetti straps).  I love the look of different dresses, though, and definitely considered the option.  One of my bridesmaids is getting married this fall and is also having 6 bridesmaids (plus 1 junior bridesmaid).  She let everyone pick their own dress in one of two colors- I think the overall effect will be beautiful!

Post # 10
236 posts
Helper bee

I am probably having 5 bridesmaids (we havn’t decided regarding my sisters yet, since we don’t know if he is having his brothers).  I am planning on doing the same color or 2 colors and letting them pick thier own tea length style in the same fabric and 2 colors.  They vary so much in build that to have the same style would be really unflattering.  One ov my girls looks amazing in high necks, one his on the heavier side, one is a size 00 because she is so small bones and is flat chested and one athleticlly built and one is very curvy.  The same style would never work on all of them.  They also ahve very different skin tones so that is an issue as well.

Post # 11
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

i have 10 BMs and gave them carte blance to choose whatever style they wanted, as long as it’s in the jim hjelm line in black chiffon

Post # 12
402 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

i have 6. i am considering choosing the skirt and let them choose the top. since its a November wedding, i’ll probably ask that they purchase the shawls too……

i’m on the fence on splitting up the colors. i could but not exactly sure which colors to do.

Post # 14
469 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I am in a similar situation with 6 bridesmaids… I love the look of everyone in the same dress, but the last few weeks (ok, who am i kidding – the last few MONTHS) have been a disaster trying to find a dress that looks good on everyone.  Does anyone have links to pictures of their bridal party in different dresses?  I’m just wondering what ti looks like when everyone isn’t in the same dress. 

Post # 15
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2008

I have 6 bridesmaids, and they are all wearing the same flattering dress.  it’s so personal what you like.  I made my decision after going to a wedding where the party wore the same color & brand in different styles – personally I didn’t like the mix of halter, strapless, etc etc so I just decided to see if I could find one dress they all like! I like the simplicity and classic look of the same lines on everyone – but I think more people lean towards the mix and match approach.

Post # 16
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2008

I have 6 bridesmaids, and they are all wearing the same flattering dress.  it’s so personal what you like.  I made my decision after going to a wedding where the party wore the same color & brand in different styles – personally I didn’t like the mix of halter, strapless, etc etc so I just decided to see if I could find one dress they all like! I like the simplicity and classic look of the same lines on everyone – but I think more people lean towards the mix and match approach.

And to make sure I didn’t pick a style they didn’t like, they got to vote among 8-10 dresses and everyone had veto power 🙂

The topic ‘6 bridesmaids, but how many dress styles?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors