(Closed) 6 days to go and Now i have no food

posted 8 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
1278 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

ohh my gosh – that absolutely sucks!!

I would get your family to gather around and brainstorm. Perhaps you can call in a few good friends and family and have them help you do a pot luck?

Or try talking to your sister and see if she is likely to get back together with her husband and this was just another one of their fights? If they are just going to get back together in a day, well maybe they will still do your food after all?

So sorry this has  happened! Good luck

Post # 4
1150 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

omg. i feel terrible for you. start building your brainstorming team now!

Post # 5
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

@FutureMrs.Harless:

Hi, I sent you a PM with some simple BBQ ideas, I hope it helps.  Oh, I would also make up a pickle platter, have crispy breadsticks in vases, and watermelon slices, and if you want them, mix cheaper brand of baked beans with your favorite maybe 3:1 ratio.   Maybe your sister could make Iced Tea for you, and help put simple salads together.  Also, another salad I like that is simple uses canned green and wax beans, kidney beans and oil and vinegar with sugar to taste, and diced onions and green peppers for crunch.  Make it ahead.  yummy!  You could also make a simple salad dressing for the green salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil, wash the grape or cherry tomatoes ahead, but add them just before you serve.   Maybe you will get other ideas from the hive.  Best Wishes.  🙂

Post # 6
860 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I’m so sorry.  Can you ask some of your close friends and family to each contribute a dish or two?

Post # 7
1254 posts
Bumble bee

I am so sorry you are going through this. Like the others mentioned above, maybe you can do a potluck instead. I am not sure how many people will be at your wedding, but perhaps word can be spread about your change in plans. Maybe each one can bring their favorite dish instead of a wedding present. Though, it might be a little presumptuous of you to think that they are giving you something in the first place Undecided.  Maybe saying something like you and the groom will be sharing some of your favorite homemade dishes with them, and to share the love they can bring their favorite dishes too. Just make sure you cover all the courses.

Frankly, I would not go back to your sister to have her make amends with her husband just for the food. I would hate for it to be done to me because I know I will end up resenting that person.

Post # 8
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

I hope that you figured something out by now.  I am sorry for what you’re going through!

Post # 9
339 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m going to agree with PPs that recommended a potluck reception.  With only 6 days out, it may be your best option and I bet you’ll be surprised at some of the delicious dishes people can whip up.  Keep us updated, I’m SO sorry this has happened to you, and best of luck!!!

Post # 10
3219 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

That is horrible! I also agree potluck sounds like the best idea! Let us know how everything turns out!

Post # 11
1667 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

just vaguely explain to your family and friends that your caterer backed out and do a potluck! People will understand, I promise, things like this happen. People will help you out because they care about you. Maybe you guys could handle the meat and have everyone bring a side?

Reach out to the rest of your family for help. Maybe they can come up with a good idea that you haven’t thought of?

Post # 12
294 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I am so sorry that you are having to stress out about something like this so close to the wedding.  I would definitely start talking to your family, and see what everyone can come up with.  These people had an adorable backyard wedding that they cooked with one bbq pit.  All of their sides were cold dishes, that didn’t need to be heated up, and the only thing that needed to be cooked were the hamburger patties and sausage.  The menu sounds incredible.

http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/

Post # 13
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

OMG, I can’t believe he backed out – that’s horrible!!!
Can you update us on your situation?

I know you said you don’t have the money to hire a caterer, but can your family/friends pitch in to help? Can you ask your BIL, even if he won’t cook, if he would loan you his smoker for the day? Does anyone in your family know of anyone else with a smoker? Or maybe your immediate family could lal bring their grills over, so you could have a few grills going at the same time?

Some BBQ can be made a day or more ahead (and is better that way). Could you have 1 person make a big bowl of cole slaw? How about another person makes macaroni salad and brings that?

And you could buy some of those heavy-duty foil pans (they have them for like $2 at the Christmas Tree Shop) and make a big thing of mac and cheese a few days ahead, freeze it, then reheat it the day of the wedding?

Hamburger patties can be made ahead, frozen in shape, and the thawed and cooked.
I hope everything works out!!!!

The topic ‘6 days to go and Now i have no food’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors