(Closed) 6 month planning time?

posted 5 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
503 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Do it!!!  I wish I had done that.  Smaller, quicker, and more about the marriage than the planning.  The planning expands to fill the time, and so does the budget!

Post # 5
514 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@orchidaloha:  Have you thought about where you want to have it at? i think that it can be enough time, but it depends on a few things. First, where it is, some places are very popular and places book up quickly. Second, finding a restaurant (or an actual venue depends on what you want) that has some sort of private room for your sized event. Where are you from if I might ask?

Post # 6
503 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@orchidaloha:  I think it’s totally possible.  I basically planned my wedding within a 6 month time frame, and now I’m kind of sitting on my hands tweaking things, and adding things because I’m so impatient for the next 6 months to go by!

The only issue I’d worry about is vendors booking up and not getting my top choices.  On the upside, because your wedding is so small, you’ll be able to do a lot of things yourselves without being too overwhelmed, and maybe get some good prices for last minute bookings.

Post # 7
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Our engagement is only 6 months and it’s been a pretty easy planning process.  We’re having 200 guests.  Six months seemed like a perfect amount of time for us to plan.  We have a little over 2 months to go and we have yet to freak out about anything.

Post # 11
3357 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@orchidaloha:  My question is – would it be possible to plan a small wedding in such a short amount of time? It would be maximum 20 guests and would most likely be a destination wedding with a relaxed ceremony, and restaurant reception, with no bridal party. Other than a dress and actually booking the location, what else do we need to think about?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

~~

I had a six month engagement and got married in Hawaii, with a total of 10 guests.

Pick a location, get a planner, dress, rings, what he’s going to wear. Flowers, marriage license. Reception was sit-down. Oh, and transportation to and from location.

Total time to plan = 1 month.

I also recommend, since you’re thinking of a Destination Wedding, to have it on a weekday so it’s not as crowded wherever you want to have the ceremony and/or reception dinner.

Post # 13
3357 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@orchidaloha:  feel free to PM 🙂

weekend weddings in Hawaii cost more too.

Post # 14
501 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@orchidaloha:  Yes!  That’s pretty much exactly what we’re doing, although not in Hawaii, lucky lady!  We found that we still had plenty of options for most vendors (although certainly not as many as if we were looking a year out); I think we contacted 12 photographers that we liked and 4 were available on our date, and we had a choice of two reception venues.  Six months from now will be low season in HI, but keep in mind that flight prices will probably vary a lot between now and then.

My dress arrival estimate was 20 weeks, so it’s currently scheduled to arrive about a month before the wedding but luckily shouldn’t need much in the way of alterations.  I did try on lots of lovely off-the-rack consignment dresses, though, that wouldn’t have required any lead time at all beyond alterations!

Post # 15
36 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I realllly wish I had gone with a shorter engagement. We got engaged in June of 2012 and are planning a Sept. 2013 wedding. As a result, we’ve had many many extra months of my fiance’s family stressing over things, us having tons of extra time to go back and forth on making decisions, and having our relatives worry about details and ask us about them constantly. If I were going to do it over, I’d go for a much shorter engagement period so we could just move fast and make it happen! 🙂

I agree with the other posters–just start booking your vendors early because some places/people will book have booked up fast. We looked at our venue over a year in advance and there was only one Saturday date left. (With a destination wedding, though, you’ll probably have more flexibility as far as the day of the week goes). I was lucky to find a dress off the rack that just needed to be hemmed (and otherwise fit me perfectly), but I’d recommend starting shopping for that early just to be on the safe side.

Post # 16
7311 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

It can be done. You will have better luck with November because September and October are now the most popular wedding months in many states. Also, if people need to request time off of work for a Destination Wedding, 6 months may not be enough notice for some employers. And it may not be enough time for people to save enough money for the trip. But it can be done. Talk to your guests and find out what their situations are before making solid plans.

The topic ‘6 month planning time?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors