(Closed) 6 Months from TTC. What do we do?

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 2
10275 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

Start eating healthy (if you don’t already) and exercise. And you can start taking prenatals about 3 months before.

Post # 3
2666 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

Go to the dentist and get anything done (including X-rays) before you might be pregnant.

start folic acid several months before TTC and stay away from Zika infected areas.

Post # 4
240 posts
Helper bee

Congrats—both on the wedding, and for planning on TTC! You’re off to a great start—tracking to get an idea of your cycles, and planning financially are awesome steps.

I just stared TTC, but here is some of the advice we received (and took):

• Start a prenatal, with high dose of folate. You should start this a few months before you’re TTC.
  • Dental checkup. If you need any work done, it’s good to get it done before getting pregnant.
  • Regular doctor checkup, with bloodwork. I found out I was very low on iron, which is super important for pregnancy, so was able to get that up before we started TTC.
  • Stay/get healthy—work out, eat right, etc.
  • Cut back on caffeine and alcohol. There are different recommendations when it comes to caffeine and alcohol, so it’s a matter of what makes you comfortable. Personally, I was downing multiple cups of coffee and black tea a day, so I started easing myself off about a month beforehand to avoid terrible headaches and am now caffeine free. As for alcohol, again, different recommendations. Many subscribe to the “drink til it’s pink” philosophy when TTC.
  • Get familiar with your company’s maternity leave plan. 
  • And this was totally a personal preference, but I took my hair back to its natural color. I didn’t want to keep highlighting my “dark blonde” hair (let’s be honest, it’s more of a brown than anthing), just in case the chemicals were bad while pregnant, but I didn’t want to have awkward root growth.
  • Take a trip away! You don’t have to do this one, but definitely make the most of your time together before you’re officially TTC.

Good luck! 

Post # 5
1119 posts
Bumble bee

I’m probably repeating PPs here but I did the following:

– Started tracking my cycles (using Ovia app) and getting to know when I typically ovulate and how to spot it.

– Started taking folic acid supplements each day.

– Started avoiding Zika infected areas (both me and DH)

– Started backing off from alcohol, just to get used to that (DH & I decided I wouldn’t drink often or at all whilst TTC)

Other than that I just continued as normal, I already eat well and exercise daily but I suppose if you don’t do then it might be worth working on those too to make sure your body is as strong and healthy as possible before TTC.

Good luck bee! I’ve just started TTC this cycle and the TTC boards on the bee have been so amazing and helpful already.

Post # 7
4497 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Sleep!

Post # 8
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2015 - City Winery New York, NY

View original reply
SeptBride2Be23 :  In addition to what PP have suggested, I’d also encorage you to read the book “Taking Control of Your Fertility”. It has so much good information and I learned a lot from it.

It might be worthwhile to download the Fertility Friend app as well and start temping your BBT, so you can recognize your temprature cycles before you start TTC. I didn’t start it until we were already TTC and wished I’d started it earlier. 

Post # 9
2165 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I have no additional advice except I’m going to echo the sleep. You can plan down to the cent to prepare for baby and you may be good in the budget area, you could have the names picked out, nursery furnished but girl…I haven’t slept through the night since January 2016 (that’s when I found out I was pregnant with #1) I’m pregnant again now and I don’t see myself sleeping well at night until 2020 at this rate. 

Post # 10
1284 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2022 - Maui

iʻm currently reading “Get Ready to Get Pregnant” by Michael C. LU, MD, MPH and itʻs amazing! highly recommend.

The topic ‘6 Months from TTC. What do we do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors