(Closed) 6 months to buy a wedding dress – Enough Time?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1144 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Thats plenty of time. I bought my dress 6 months ago and with alterations it has been done now for 4 months hanging in my closet. I also bought my reception dress 1.5 months ago and I have final fitting Wed my wedding is Nov 30th.

Post # 4
662 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

It’s plenty of time. You might be limited to the places you can shop at- some of the big designers require more time but I ordered my dress 3 weeks ago & I got a call today that it came in!

Post # 5
22 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Depends on where you get it. I orded mine in July and it hasn’t come in yet, and that seems to be how long it takes at some boutiques. David’s Bridal shouldn’t take that long. Best wishes!

Post # 6
5883 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

You’ll have plenty of time. But I would go shopping with friends before she gets here. That way you’ll have an idea of what you like and you’ll just be narrowing down your choices. I know it took many trips to finally make my decision and I only went to David’s. If you have many boutiques to go to, it might be too stressful the make the decision so quickly.

PS- I ordered mine from David’s. they told me it would take 3 months. I got it in 10 days.

Post # 7
418 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Yes. I bought mine the end of July and it came in November. You might want to get an idea of desingers you like and find out how long they take and what a rush charge might cost.

Post # 8
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Where in Virginia do you live?  Carine’s and Hitched in Georgetown have sample sales pretty regularly…you could get a designer gown off the rack and then have it altered to fit.

Church Street Bridal in Lynchburg is another option…they sell samples that Kleinfeld donates to them to raise money for charity (there are plenty of posts about it here).

EDIT: Hitched has some of the samples that they are looking to sell posted on their website: http://www.hitchedsalon.com/samplesale.html

Post # 9
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

possibly! My dress takes 6 months to come in, and then I need a few weeks for alterations. Definitely check with your salon, and it doesn’t hurt to start looking early!

Post # 10
5883 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

Oh yeah, have your seamstress lined up already. Depending on where you bought it, you might not want to use thier onsite seamstresses. If you live in NoVA, I can give you the name of a really good independent seamstress in MD.

Post # 11
1611 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yes, you have plenty of time.  I bought my dress in July, and recived it the first week of November.  I bought my dress really early because the price was going up the next day, but if it wasn’t for that, I would have waited.

Post # 12
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

That is plenty of time 😀 I bought my dress in late December and got married the first week of June. My dress was ready with plenty of time left to spare! Good luck and have fun

Post # 13
2086 posts
Buzzing bee

FYI, Love Couture in Potomac is having a sample sale this weekend, too!

Post # 14
2086 posts
Buzzing bee

Sorry to top again, but Carine’s is having a big sample sale soon as well. 

The topic ‘6 months to buy a wedding dress – Enough Time?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors