posted 6 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Would you rather have a

4 prong ering

6 prong ering

• Post # 2
    1257 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

I had a six prong Tiffany-esque engagement ring. It’s currently being reset into a bezel for security as one of the prongs bent backwards. If I had a four prong ring my diamond would have been long gone. I think 6 prongs look best on bigger stones and the prongs tend to look prettier than 4 prongs. I do think the four prong double claw look is pretty as well though!

Post # 3
    477 posts
    Helper bee

Here’s a pic of my 6 prong diamond solitaire.  Before getting my ring, I always thought I wanted a 4 prong.  I thought having only 4 prongs would show off more of the diamond.  But my fiance said that when he was looking at 4 prongs, he really thought it made the round diamond look more square than it was.   I’ve looked at other 4 prong round diamonds and agree that it does give the illusion of a more square look.  I’m very happy with my 6 prong 🙂

Post # 4
    1598 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    mwd123:  My original proposed ring was a six prong and I loved it. It made me feel like the diamond was secure and in place as well as it reminded me of a flower and gave a beautiful shape around the diamond.

Post # 5
    943 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

I love the six prong setting! I love the way it rounds out and frames the diamond. But I feel it depends on the diamond size. It would be overpowering on my diamond so o stuck with the four prong.

Post # 6
    1697 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

I looove the top facing look of 6 prong settings, but my favorite thing about my 4 prong is that I can see more of my beautiful stone. I don’t think I would trade seeing the clarity and whiteness of my diamond for the look of a 6 prong, but it sure is pretty from the top. 

Post # 7
    6236 posts
    Bee Keeper

I never thought about prongs much before but now you ask the 6 on mine does make it feel secure. The 4 prong ones I seen look more ‘cupcake’ if you know what I mean in terms  giving a v shape setting when looked at side on. I suppose it squares off a round a bit too. 

This is my 6 prong

Post # 8
    777 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2014 - Catal Restaurant

Im going with 6 peongs because I love the look of it. I wanted the tulip prongs, but i feel like the 4 looks weird. 

Post # 9
    62 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I like how round a 6-prong makes the diamond look.  It is so classic and timeless to me.  I also have seen beautiful 4-prongs, but I love the 6 even more.

Post # 10
    585 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2017

I love six-prong settings. I chose one for my sapphire because I liked the extra security. I also like the roundness. 

As for six prongs overwhelming smaller stones, I think it depends on the setting and how skillfully/daintily the prongs are made. I have a 1 carat sapphire that faces up the same size as a .65 carat diamond and I don’t feel like the prongs overwhelm the stone at all.

Post # 11
    6286 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2009 - New York, NY

I love the look of 6 prong and also feel the stone is more secure.  Here’s my 6 prong solitaire.

Post # 12
    20 posts
    Newbee

When I would tell my fiance about rings, I was DEAD SET on 4 prongs. I wanted the diamond to show more, and thought 6 prongs would take away from it. He proposed with a 6 prong, and I love it. His jeweler was worried that a 4 prong on a 1.46 carat ring would not be secure enough. I’m glad he went with 6 prongs, I think with 4 I would be worried my diamond would fall out if one of the prongs bent back. 

Honestly, if the prongs are small, you cant even tell. I spent too much time on details, and at the end of the day he picked a ring that was exactly what i wanted, without even knowing lol.  Here’s my 6 prong!

Post # 13
    491 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    theshannondee:  you’re re-setting your gorgeous OEC into a bezel?? Please please post pics when it’s done! That’s going to be Beautiful! 

Post # 14
    3382 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    mwd123:  I much prefer 6 prongs as they maintain the round shape of my diamond, plus I feel as though it’s more secure than a 4 prong.

Post # 15
    1582 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I have 6 prongs! For a solitaire, I feel like 4 prongs squares off and create corners on a round brilliant too much for my taste. Agree with PP that it also feels like my diamond is more secure. And there is just something so classic about 6 prongs! 

image14

The topic ‘6 prong rings! Pros & Cons ?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors