(Closed) 6 prong rings! Pros & Cons ?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Would you rather have a

4 prong ering

6 prong ering

• Post # 16
    9520 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

I have 6 and I love it, but I think for relatively smaller stones, the prongs need to be delicate or else they can overwhelm the stone and I’d go for 4 if that were the case.

Post # 17
    685 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

I have a smaller stone (half carat), and I love my six prong setting. The prongs are delicate enough that they don’t overwhelm the stone. I love how the six prongs look around a round diamond. And most importantly, I feel like my diamond is more secure. I have a low setting, but I’m just not always careful with my hands and I feel better knowing that I could knock a prong out of shape and not lose my stone. 

Post # 18
    894 posts
    Busy bee

I love my 4-prong ring! I always loved the look of the 4-prong, I think mainly because I love squared stones as much as round, and the 4-prong gave a squared illusion while having a round centre, so I liked that. My prongs make me love the profile of my ring

Post # 19
    2127 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2019

Don’t have a ring yet, but we’re looking at a Tiffany setting around about 0.2ct. I looked at 4 prong ring elsewhere of a similar size and didn’t like it. Too boxy. I would want even my little diamond to look as round as possible. The security is an added bonus too.

Post # 20
    1257 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
    snickerwickens:  I am! I am super excited it should be done in the next week. I’m doing a super thin bezel so it should hopefully keep a bit of antique look to it. 🙂 will post pix!

Post # 21
    700 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

I didn’t really think prongs could be anything special until I saw a 6-pronged ring. One of the rings on my list of favourites is a 6-pronged trellis 🙂 

Post # 22
    3607 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    mwd123:  I like that the prongs play up the round shape of my center stone. Some rings with a four-prong setting can look a little square to me even if the cut is a RB, which is not the look I wanted. I also like the extra security of those two additional prongs holding my diamond in place.

The cons are that the prongs can be a little more obvious because there are more of them. I’ve heard a good number of people say that the classic Tiffany setting is too prong-y for their taste (don’t have one, but I personally love it).

Post # 23
    9575 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2015

All about 6! More secure and supports the roundness vs making it square with 4.

Post # 24
    37 posts
    Newbee

6 prongs! I liked to do a lot of crafts and clean and use my hands a lot. It makes me feel like I don’t need to worry about the diamond popping out or getting loose. I also like that it keeps its round shape!

Post # 25
    716 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

I have a four prong setting that is completely open around the diamond. The base point of the diamond does not touch the setting. I have no idea how Birks designed this setting to hold the diamond so secure but it’s extremely secure. I love how you can see the diamond so openly on the sides. But if I hadn’t picked this setting, I would have went for a six prong. Each has its merits but it ultimately falls to what you like best.

Post # 26
    11376 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2015

Beautiful rings ladies! I am a sucker for a six prong, esp the Tiffany, it’s just so classic. You can’t go wrong with that, but as @TheGridMonster pointed out, it might make sense to do 4 with a smaller stone. 

Post # 27
    11533 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

I have always liked the more square look that four prongs provides to a round brilliant diamond, so I have four prongs. However, the bees advocating for the security benefits of a six-prong setting are correct about that. There also are some gorgeous six-prong settings on this thread and on WB in general.  

Post # 28
    122 posts
    Blushing bee

I would go 6 prong if the diamond is 1 c plus for security. One of my prongs bent and if there were only 4 the diamond would have been lost…. it is currently being repaired.

Post # 29
    2127 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2019

Even on small stones, 4 prongs make a round stone look very square. Some people love this. I went into Tiffany to look at a 6 prong, and then De Beers (next door!) to look at a 4 prong, and I thought a small stone looked much better with 6 prongs. I didn’t like the De Beers at all. Of course you see less diamond side on with a 6 prong, though each prong is usually slimmer and more delicate than a 4. It’s all about personal preference.

Post # 30
    316 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

I like both, but I don’t think my four squares off my diamond like I have seen with others. image20

The topic ‘6 prong rings! Pros & Cons ?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors