(Closed) 6 prongs make diamond look smaller?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
325 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I personally think 6 prongs make the diamond look more round while 4 prongs make it look more square. 

I have 1ct with 6 prongs and love it. I don’t think it makes the stone look smaller at all. Plus, it *is* more secure for the stone.

Post # 3
9436 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

I have a .75 ct equivalent sapphire with 6 prongs. I love the look of six prongs and it certainly doesn’t make my center stone look tiny.

Post # 4
7937 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

While my personal preference is for a four prong setting, I absolutely disagree about a six prong setting making a stone look smaller. Well crafted prongs of any number will not visually shrink your stone. Get what you want and do not let a salesperson make such an important decision for you.

Post # 5
179 posts
Blushing bee

Both my rings are 6 prong  the first is a 7.7mm moissanite which is closer to a 2 carat size, and my other is a .75 diamond center.  I’m very happy with both  I did have a .5 carat in the second ring setting at one point and it did make the diamond look smaller, but the size you are talking shouldn’t be an issue.  

Post # 6
143 posts
Blushing bee

I have 6 prongs on a 0.6! It entirely comes down to the prongs. Chunky ones will make any stone look smaller. Well made prongs just make the stone look round! I was REALLY fussy about my prongs and the jeweller did so well I barely notice them and I don’t think they make my stone look smaller….

Post # 7
7553 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

View original reply
emilylvwdammon :  I love 6 prongs and as a PP said, I feel they make a diamon looked more round and 4 prongs make it look more square.

Post # 8
1227 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016 - Painswick Church and the Falcon Hotel

Mines 0.99ct and I find 6 prongs frame the diamond a little better and make the stone look bigger if anything 

Post # 9
126 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
baunie :  This is stunning! Do you mind me asking what finger size you are and how many MM width your ER band is? I LOVE IT!

Post # 10
48 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2017

Mine is a 0.7 with six prongs. 

Post # 11
131 posts
Blushing bee

I have 6 prongs and I don’t think they detract from the size of my at all; however, I think it also depends on how chunky your prongs are.

I’ve got a 1.38ct diamond and here it is underneath a 1.5ct 4 prong with chunkier prongs:

Post # 12
3038 posts
Sugar bee

I bought a diamond from Whiteflash and had it set by Mappin and Webb.  I was told that a diamond looks bigger after it is set – and yes it does.

So the sales assistant was talking rubbish.

Post # 13
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

I have a six-prong Vatche setting on a 1 carat sapphire (faces up the same size as a .65 carat diamond) and the prongs don’t overwhelm the stone at all. Vatche prongs are very delicate-looking and one of my favorite parts of my ring!

I’m on mobile but I’ll try to post a pic later!

Post # 14
325 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

View original reply
laurenthurbon :  hi Lauren, thank you so much! 🙂 I have size 4 1/2 fingers and the band width is 2mm. 

Post # 15
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2018

I had my heart set on a 6 prong setting too!  I think it depends on how bulky the prongs are, but you can definitely find prongs that are not at all bulky and will not overwhelm your stone.  We were looking for a diamond around 1 carat in size, and had one store tell me flatout that it would be a horrible decision to have 6 prongs because it would make my stone look smaller.  I got a 6 prong setting anyway, and I am so glad I didn’t listen to them because I absolutely love it!  Plus, the extra two prongs of security just gives me a little more peace of mind.  If you love 6 prongs, then don’t second guess yourself!  Picture attached.  My stone is 1.1 carats!  

The topic ‘6 prongs make diamond look smaller?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors