(Closed) 6 prongs vs 4 prongs- Please share your thoughts/advice/ and PICTURES of both :)

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 17
276 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I would suggest a six prong, your stone wwill be much more secure.  I am also a health care professional and having gloves on all day isnt the best thing for your ring.  Sometimes I wear mine to work, but it’s a pain putting gloves on over it.  So I just wear a different ring thats more flat with a small half bezel diamond in it most days.  Sooooo much easier. 

Post # 18
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

I prefer 4 prongs because much more of the diamond is visible from the side views. These angles are beautiful too – I often find myself admiring it from those angles – and I wouldn’t want to be staring at metal bars instead. Small prong heads on a medium sized round will not make it look square from the top view…they will almost disappear, as they don’t scintillate and light up like the diamond does.

In the case that the diamond is so large or the head so tall that the prongs keep loosening (diamond starts to move a little inside), I suggest a low basket that will much more minimally obscure your view.

Post # 19
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 1996

I choose 4 prongs because I think it  shows the ring off better. But look at both and try it on to see whats looks best to you, here is my ring forever brilliant 4.6 carets cente stone is 3 carets.

Post # 20
407 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Mine has 4 prongs and I love the way it looks. I do not like the look of 6 prong rings. 

Post # 21
156 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

I personally like 4 prongs better!! All preference b/c both are nice. I will be a physician assistant but will not be wearing my Engagement Ring to work, only a plain band.

Post # 22
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 1996

Post # 23
3194 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@dfutureNP:  I have a 4-prong on my 1.01 carat center stone. 

Post # 24
7965 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

I prefer 4 prongs, as I enjoy being able to see as much of the stone as possible. Small prongs shouldn’t affect the appearance of the shape of the stone at all.

Post # 25
28 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2001

I have 6 prongs

Post # 26
262 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
@mamadingdong:  I never really noticed that, but you’re right! I will be “suggesting” six prongs.

Post # 27
2777 posts
Sugar bee

@dfutureNP:  I prefer 6 prong, I don’t think it covers the stone too much and it provides greater protection for your stone.

Post # 28
780 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

obviously six prong here; it was a security issue, i’m a klutz.  and case in point, i recently had one of the prongs straightened as the ring got knocked (someone dropped a door on my hand accidentally) and the jeweler literally said “stone is perfect, no chips, the prong took the shock and bent under the impact.  who knows how that would have turned out if your setting was four prong.”  he showed me the bend in the gold under magnification (they don’t loop shit, they’re no joke) before he fixed it.  i freaked, lol.  four prongs are beautiful also.  probably im the wrong person to answer this as I also like half bezels and 8 prongs and those double claw prongs, etc. ugh anyway six prongs was def simply a day to day security issue for me, regardless of the insurance the ring has.

Post # 29
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

4 prongs! No idea why. I do like the looks of it though.

Post # 30
6734 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

@dfutureNP:  6 prongs is more secure and I think that 4 prongs makes RB diamonds look cushion – which is fine, if you like that look, but if I wanted a cushion, I would have gotten one, yanno?  I think cushions are beautiful, but I wanted a RB.  Here’s my 6 prong – it’s a professional pic so you can really see the detail and the prongs, IMO – I don’t think it covers up the stone too much at all:

Post # 31
1381 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I have a 4-prong RB diamond that’s set a little lower on purpose (I wear gloves all day long too as I’m a dentist).  I can’t really say if I prefer 4-prong vs 6-prong because I’ve never tried on the latter.. but I think I’d love either, honestly.  I might prefer the 4-prong actually because like futuremrsk18 stated, it makes the stone look more cushion which I kind of like.

The topic ‘6 prongs vs 4 prongs- Please share your thoughts/advice/ and PICTURES of both :)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors