(Closed) 6 prongs vs 4 prongs- Please share your thoughts/advice/ and PICTURES of both :)

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 108
3723 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I have a large stone and it is secured with 6 prongs. I feel like 6 prongs can overpower a small diamond. My SIL has a .25CT and with 6 prongs it’s hard to see the dang stone. If it’s a small stone, I’d go for 4 prongs.

Post # 109
1460 posts
Bumble bee

Now I’m kind nervous lol Waiting bee here but my ering is a 2+ ct RB in a 4 prong white gold setting…it’s a low setting on a straight shank and I don’t do much with my hands for work but I am kind of clumsy. Hopefully it’ll be okay.

Post # 110
113 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I have 4 prongs on my oval ring and the jeweler made them out of platinum like the rest of the ring…He said that 4 strong prongs are better than 6 because having 6, they would have to be made so thin as to not show as much. I have never had any issue whatsoever and love the clean look of my ring…

I am in nursing school and that is one of the reasons I chose as I did! Congratulations to you!

Post # 112
133 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

As someone who is torn between her preference for round and princess cut diamonds, the round brilliant cut for its extreme sparkle and the princess cut for its classic elegance, I feel like having four prongs on a round diamond is PERFECTION for me.  

It squares off the diamond to suggest squareness while still having the round brilliant sparkle.  For me, it’s the best of both worlds. If you have any sort of inclination to the square shape, I recommend 4 prongs.  If you really love the round shape, then I recommend 6 prongs for you.

I’m sure you’ll be happy either way!!!

This is my .45 carat diamond on a size 6 finger.

Post # 114
3723 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
@dfutureNP:  I think 1.2 would look great with 6 prongs but maybe your jeweler can tell you and show you an approximate representation.

Post # 115
322 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I have 4 but wanted 6. I still wish I could get 6 but the jeweler insisted on 4 so it looks a bit square.

Post # 117
241 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@dfutureNP:  thanks!!’ I live in constant fear of losing it l

Post # 118
2094 posts
Buzzing bee

i have 4. my ring is platinum and pretty solid, so i dont worry about it much:

Post # 119
306 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

My fiancè picked out a ring that was 4 prong. The jeweler advised him that diamonds that are larger are better off with 6 prongs to keep the diamond from falling out, so they added 2 more prongs to the ring. I have a 1.25ct diamond with 6 prongs and I LOVE it!! It’s so classic and timeless 

Post # 120
43 posts
Newbee

I have a 4 prongs and I absolutley love it! I love the side view of the diamond. Fiance picked the setting and chose 4 prongs to show off the diamond. Im a size 4. Center Diamond is 1.631 Ideal Cut AGS 000 Hearts and Arrows

Post # 121
3370 posts
Sugar bee

@dfutureNP:  I personally think that a 6-prong is more classy/elegant look. Also better at holding the stone in. I had a 6 prong with my first e-ring. However, a 6-prong will cover more of the diamond, so a smaller diamond will appear swallowed up by the 6-prong setting.

Post # 122
3099 posts
Sugar bee

@dfutureNP:  Here’s my new 4-prong (anniversary ring).  I like it because it’s relatively low profile and it doesn’t snag on things.

The topic ‘6 prongs vs 4 prongs- Please share your thoughts/advice/ and PICTURES of both :)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors