6 weeks pregnant and traveling to Mexico-Zika?

posted 2 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Would you cancel your trip?
    Yes : (74 votes)
    83 %
    No : (15 votes)
    17 %
  • Post # 2
    5578 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2017

    happilywed1066 :  

    Are there serious risks to going to Zika infected areas when you are pregnant? Yes. Serious, devastating risks to your baby.

    I personally wouldn’t go, I understand that you are out $3k which is a lot of money. However, I don’t think I could be kind to myself if my baby developed birth defects from Zika which I could have prevented by not going.

    I don’t know what the chances are of getting it, and I know some resorts have safety measures and what not so it really depends on where you go but for me, the anxiety alone wouldn’t be worth it.

    Post # 4
    138 posts
    Blushing bee

    10/10 would not go. The chance is just not worth it

    Post # 5
    3064 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

    happilywed1066 :  We missed a wedding in MX because we were TTC and our doctor told us no go

    I wound up being about 9 weeks pregnant at the time of the wedding, and I am SO GLAD I didn’t go, not (only) due to Zika risk but because I was sick and miserable!!

    And honestly, I would be worried about water/food issues down there ( Montezuma’s revenge) not something you want to potentially deal with while pregnant.. dangerous for baby.

    Post # 6
    3623 posts
    Sugar bee

    Where in Mexico? 

    Post # 8
    1076 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

    happilywed1066 :  I’m confused about this comment, the title says you are 6 weeks pregnant but then you are saying you are trying to convince. If you are pregnant then no, don’t go. If you TTC then you must wait 6 months after the trip before trying again. Risking the health of the fetus isn’t worth the gamble.

    Post # 10
    488 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

    Darling Husband and I have put off TTC due to a trip we have planned to Brazil in February.  About 6-7 months after the trip we will start TTC.  Risk of Zika seems much higher there.  It sounds like your option is to wait 6 months to continue TTC or go on the trip possibly 6 months pregnant?  I would personally wait 6 months or cancel the trip.  Do not go pregnant.  You will just be stressed the whole time.

    Post # 12
    488 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

    happilywed1066 :  You should discuss with your doctor.  It is believed that Zika can live in a man’s semen for 6 months.  New studies show that it doesn’t last quite that long.  It clears from women much quicker, but you should use condoms with your husband.  You could also see if your doctor can perform a test when you return to see if either of you have Zika.  There are strict guidelines on this from the CDC so you should really speak with your doctor. 

    Post # 13
    176 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2016

    I cancelled a trip to st lucia for the same reaon. We were ttc and I could possibly have been pregnant during our trip. We lost money, but the peace of mind was worth it for me. My doctor mentioned that they believe it may stay in semen for up to 6- 9 months so even if I wasn’t pregnant during the trip we should wait 9 months to try again. We didn’t want to wait

    ETA: Doctor told me this in January/February 2017 so things may have changed now 

    Leave a comment

    Find Amazing Vendors