(Closed) 6 weeks to the wedding, i cant find my dress

posted 10 years ago in New York City
Post # 3
344 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

Not sure if you’re near a David’s Bridal, but I bought my dress off the rack there. It was weird for me to take it home that day, but at least I know nothing can happen to it. Anyway, probably any place like that or a place where you find a "floor model" in your size would work. Good luck!!!

Post # 4
35 posts
Newbee

Have you looked at Nordstrom and Target’s websites?  They may have some good options for you.  Another option would be the Filene’s sale, there is one in Baltimore, MD which is a long train ride but it would be an adventure!  The sale is July 11th and they have more info on their website.  There is one in Boston Aug 22 but I am thinking that is too late.

Post # 5
1 posts
Wannabee

I’m in a similar situation, but am coming close to buying a dress.  I tried on a few Nicole Miller dresses yesterday.  There are a variety of styles, and the ones I tried on are not poofy, no long train, not strapless, and would work for an outdoor wedding.  And if I decide to get the one I like, I was told they ship them quickly — 1 to 3 weeks, or many shops have samples they will sell you on the spot. 

Post # 6
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Did you try nicole miller?  She has nice dresses and they are plain, simple, and many are not strapless.

Post # 8
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

This may sound strange, but check stores like Jessica McClintock (does that still exist?) and even Macy’s, etc. If I had to do it over again, I’d look at a department store for a formal dress in white, as opposed to buying a "wedding" dress. Or go bold and find a sexy hot summer dress in another color!

Post # 9
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

It sounds like you’ve been through a million options…could there really be anything different left out there? Not to throw water on your fire, but perhaps you are overanalyzing the dress. It’s like the closer to the wedding the more frantic you get and more difficult to decide it becomes, right? Take a deep breath and go back to evaluate your seemingly less than perfect candidates. You might find that the one you choose (or the one you’ve already chosen) becomes more attractive to you by virtue of your having chosen it. If you embrace the fact that youre going to be hot at an outdoor wedding in August the one you’ve already got might work great for you. Or, as others have said, go in a different direction by buying a completely non-wedding-y dress, like a fun summer sundress. Good luck!

Post # 10
7 posts
Newbee

if you do end up in NYC, check out the Bridal Garden – http://www.bridalgarden.org – they have designer dresses in a variety of sizes and styles that are donated and that you can take home that very day (i believe) – all the proceeds that they receive go to charity – i went there and they had some cool options a few weekends ago that might work for what you’re looking for, and i know 2 people who bought their dresses there and were very satisfied.

Good Luck! 

Post # 11
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

J.Crew has some really nice simple wedding dresses.  I got the sophia long silk dress – classic looking and SO comfortable to wear! 

Post # 12
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018 - The Desmond Hotel in Malvern, PA

Check out bridal consignment shops…. a friend of mine got one in NYC, I think it was a place called Michael’s?…. and it was her dream dress, a Melissa Sweet that she never could have afforded otherwise.  You might find some hidden gems there!  And if you get something now, you still have enough time to get it altered, so it doesn’t need to fit 100% perfectly.  Good luck!

Post # 14
39 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I was looking for non strapless too…and it wasn’t until the last bridal shop when a sales woman said to men…"oh, all strapless dresses come with spagetti straps."

Don’t pass over the strapless dresses, especially since they are about 90% of what’s out there. Look at the top of the dress and see if it would work if you got a seamstress to add spagetti straps, or even wider straps. You’re going to have to get alterations anyway, since dresses don’t come with bustles, so if you have a train, you already are going to have to pay $150 or more for alterations.

Personally, I was not impressed with the quality of the dresses at David’s Bridal and didn’t like being practically stalked in the stores and online. Try small shops and see if they have samples that they are selling. 

There are some other dress suggestions in this wedding saver blog that might help you:

http://www.nbc10.com/nbc10wedding/16665971/detail.html 

Post # 15
117 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2008 - United Methodist Cathedral & historic downtown hotel in Cleveland

You could also check bluefly.com, which has a lot of designer dresses (including those in white or ivory), substantially marked down.

Post # 16
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Oh gosh..I’m sorry that you haven’t found your dress yet!!

I just got my dress, but it was TOTALLY not what I was originally wanting. I was writing off strapless, but the bridal shop lady insisted I try a corset top one on…I’m a plus size bride and this dress just knocked my socks off. I would go to a store with a clean slate and ask them to dress you in different styles. You may be hoping for a style that doesn’t flatter your body type the best and this will be a refreshing change. You may look great in something you never would have thought of.

Best of luck in your search!

The topic ‘6 weeks to the wedding, i cant find my dress’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors