(Closed) 6 weeks to the wedding, i cant find my dress

posted 12 years ago in New York City
Post # 17
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

What shape are you looking for?  Something not strapless for outdoors in the summer is going to be hard–so tank-top style, spaghetti, short/cap sleeve, halter, & off the shoulder are what’s left.  If you’ve tried all the department stores with no luck, try edressme.com.  And try bridesmaid dresses too. 

As with adding spaghetti straps to an otherwise strapless dress, most trains can be cut off/shortened too so don’t rule out any dresses on that account.

For more on this try kvetch.indiebride.com–they have a thread specifically for wedding dress alternatives and there are lots of different options there.  Good Luck!!!

Post # 19
100 posts
Blushing bee

oh and as for shopping "districts" in nyc… totally depends what you want to spend. If you want vintage you could try Williamsburg in brooklyn, if you want off the rack main stores, try lower fifth ave/flatiron district, if you want more unique boutique type stores try nolita (east of soho). Good Luck!

Post # 20
8 posts
Newbee

As the owner of a bridal shop – here is my advice….

Do you have the perfect dress in mind?  Is there a dress you have been dreaming about?  What does it look like?  If you do – sketch it out. 

What is hard is if you don’t know what you want. 

One of my brides tried on 100s of A-line cut dresses and finally the sales person convinced her to try on a dress she had in mind.  Sales people who know their job and the  dresses can tell what looks good on you.  The bride said she hated lace and sequence and only was interested in a princess style dress.  The sales person had her try a lace sheath overlay that had sequence.   The dress looked amazing on her and the bride ended up getting that dress.

A lot of times a simple dress can look too simple for the occasion.  So my vote is that if you haven’t found the perfect dress yet….  Go out of your box and try some dresses that you are convinced you would hate.  If anything it might expand what you like and don’t like.  A wedding day lets you be more of who you are.  You still want to be yourself but lets face it no one dresses up this way on a regular basis.  If you never wear lace or beadwork in your everyday life, that is ok.  Most people don’t.  Plus trying on different styles and cuts can help open the playing field.  Maybe bring a friend you trust and have them pick all the dresses that you try on.  . 

And remember – don’t stress.  This day is about your love and your future life.  Celebrate it!  Whether it is THE dress or just a dress that makes you feel good.

feel free to e-mail me if I can help in any way.

http://www.kateskouture.com 

Katy 

Post # 21
113 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Mrs Petunia has the most beautiful dress ever in my opinion 🙂 

I also like the Jim Hjelm lace dress that one of the other bees had: which was not strapless and it’s super sexy and light and airy for summer! 

I bought the Maggie Sottero JSM1122 which has cap sleeves.  My contender was JSM1095 which is 10x more beautiful in person.  Both are probably not as light as you need them to be though.

Not sure what dresses are ready to be bought … maybe try to find a used one.  I need that as a backup plan for my wedding too as my dress is not scheduled to arrived till 3 weeks before the date 😛

Post # 22
113 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Also stores like Cicada in Seattle can custom make your dress!  If you know what you love, then you could try that route.

The topic ‘6 weeks to the wedding, i cant find my dress’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors