(Closed) 6 wks preggo and no heartbeat! Is this normal? SCARED!

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
2091 posts
Buzzing bee

I have no real experience with pregnancy, but I’ve read on WB many times that the heartbeat may not be hear-able until 8 or 9 weeks.

Post # 5
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2012

You may not be able to hear a good strong heartbeat until 10 weeks!  Don’t worry I’m sure you’ve got a strong baby in you!

Post # 6
2313 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Calm down! This is totally normal and that is quite early to detect a heartbeat. Try to worry until you go back next week.

Post # 7
407 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

It’s nearly impossible not to worry, but your Doctor could be (and hopefully is) totally right. This is only my first pregnancy so I’m by no means an expert about this kind of stuff, but from what I see, it seems in these early stages so much happens developmentally in such little time that even a day can make all the difference. I went in for an ultrasound at 5w and a few days and saw a yolk sac. One week later I saw the embryo and a flickering heart. It’s pretty amazing how quickly things can change and I feel every pregnancy develops that little bit differently from the next. I’m sure at your follow up everything will be looking great!

Post # 8
2907 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

From the great medical knowledge of the TV show Grey’s Anatomy, a lot of places don’t do ultrasounds at 6 weeks because it can be too early to hear a heartbeat. (And they want to keep people from worrying about why they can’t see it yet. It’s just too early sometimes.)

Post # 9
7406 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

My doctor does not send people till at least 8 to 9 weeks because it is too hard to hear the heartbeat before then.  Good luck!

Post # 10
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’m confused… were they listening for a heartbeat or were they looking for it on the ultrasound? You should be able to see the heartbeat before being able to hear the heartbeat, but I don’t know anything about when those 2 things are supposed to be easily detected.

Post # 11
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

And yet another reason why most offices won’t see you until 8-10 weeks.  

Post # 12
1813 posts
Buzzing bee

My doc doesn’t let you come in that early, either…poor thing.

Post # 13
4653 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Well I had the same issue I fell and broke a rib so they did the ultrasound to make sure the baby was ok they couldnt find the heart beat and i cried for weeks because i was so scared But at my next ultrasound they found it and now i have a happy healthy baby girl!

Post # 14
1032 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

My understanding is that they cannot even “hear” the heartbeat until a few weeks later. At most they can see it flicker….but not hear it. And the heart doesn’t even start beating until 5ish weeks. So maybe you are just a little behind where you thought you were.

Good luck. I’m sure it’s scary!  But like everyone else said…most of the time you are not seen until 8 weeks so it may have just been too early. 

Post # 15
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Normal, normal, normal. Like PP say, the heartbeat usually doesn’t show up until 8+ weeks.

Post # 16
144 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

They couldnt hear my baby’s heartbeat at my last appt and i was 11 weeks almost 12. they said its normal not to hear it even at 11 weeks.

The topic ‘6 wks preggo and no heartbeat! Is this normal? SCARED!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors