(Closed) 6 year old + gerbil + alone for 5 mins = $350 Vet bill!!

posted 7 years ago in Pets
Post # 32
708 posts
Busy bee

Aw, I’m sorry you had to go through this but I’m proud of you for taking it as a teaching moment for your son (and pet newbie husband too!).

I must say though, your vet is playing you for a fool with the $200 gerbil euthanasia.

Post # 33
1812 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Pavilion overlooking golf course scenery, reception at banquet hall

Oh jeeze, I remember the tail thing pretty vividly from my own gerbil when I was about ~10. There wasn’t much blood, though, and she healed herself just fine (and lived 3+ years after the injury). It was just the very tippy tip of her tail, though. I remember flipping my shit, but I didn’t know of any exotic vets in the area so we we were kind of just stuck with waiting and seeing if she was alright.

Thank you for saving your little pet. I agree with a PP that teaching your young son all the lessons like “we need to be compassionate to our pets’ pain and wellbeing”, “we fix what we break, even when it is tough”, “pets can get hurt if we aren’t gentle”, and especially “pet care is much more expensive than the purchase price of the pet” is SO much more important than a few months of cable! A lot of children are so careless with pets, it melts my heart that he offered to help with chores to save his little friend!

Post # 34
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

So happy to hear you opted to go with the surgery! 🙂

You sound like a good-hearted person and a smart parent!

The topic ‘6 year old + gerbil + alone for 5 mins = $350 Vet bill!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors