60 days until wedding and still not losing weight, help!

posted 4 months ago in Dress
Post # 2
305 posts
Helper bee

I understand how you are feeling, I gained a lot of weight since I met my now fiancé and I’ve been trying to lose it but it’s being really hard, I just don’t feel as energetic and strong as I was 4 years ago, I have my best friends wedding in August and that was my date goal but I just don’t feel the motivation. 

But my fiancé and I are joining a gym sometime next week I hope we can change this bad routine and be healthier, it’s just so weird to feel bloated everyday you know? I suffer from colitis and some days I don’t even like to use jeans or stand up, my stomach is so bloated because of the office routine.

The best advice I can give you is to follow Tone It Up search them on Instagram those girls are amazing, 6-7 years ago they helped me drop around 8kg in less than two months and gained a lot of muscle (muscle helps you to drop weight faster because it needs to work a lot so it keeps burning all day if you exercise it and feed it -> this sounded creepy 😂 LOL)

You can buy their meal plan I have it and it’s amazing or just follow the rules they give you. Go to their website it has a ton of info!

it’s something like this:

30 mins of walking, running, swimming, anything that gets you moving first thing in the morning

5-6 small meals a day

eat clean and green

limit starches after lunch

forget about added sugar (They suggest stevia, honey and maple)

Just little changes, they have 6-8 weeks plans to get you started, I think they are about to start the summer 8 week plan and 5-7 day plans if you have an event those are amazing.

Another advice is if your body isn’t responding (you’ve reached a plateau) to the same thing you have been doing you have to change it up, try another type of exercise or change your meals maybe add more fiber and remember to drink lots of water.

The last thing I’m going to say is try to not be so hard on yourself and enjoy being engaged and enjoy the process of wedding planning! Try to do little things everyday that make you happy! I understand and I also have to work on that but I’m getting there! 

💖

Post # 3
366 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2019

The best way to kick a plateau is shaking up your diet. I lost 7kgs and hit a total wall. My partner and I made the joint decision to eat 90% vegan food (we wanted vego, but I react badly to dairy, and vego minus dairy is basically vegan, lol). Nek minnit another 3-4 kgs gone in a month (and I’m very active, BMI 27ish, terrible genetics, so weight is hard for me to lose)

So yeah, no matter what diet you choose to follow (they’re all designed to help you lose weight), just make sure it’s different to the one you’re currently on. It’ll kick start your metabolism! And exercise 4-5 hours a week. High intensity. Really kick your own ass!

Also side note, cannot recommend vegan enough (even if it’s just a few days a week). I have so much energy, never put off the gym. Poo every day…..that’s a huge thing for me haha.

But yeah….you won’t lose 20kgs in 2 months. Give up on that dream (unless you’re already quite large – 150kg+), or cut off a leg. Maybe think in the vicinity of 10kg? That’s still a respectable loss!!

Post # 4
305 posts
Helper bee

Everything  ash101 said! I’m also vegan 3-4 days a week when I’m following the Plan and it’s easier and faster to cook but can’t stand it everyday because of the legumes (colitis, I bloat so easily it’s a problem) 

I really can’t recommend Tone It Up more, they have amazing metabolism boosting exercises like ash101 suggested! The best  you can do is do them in the morning to make your metabolism work all day long!

Post # 5
636 posts
Busy bee

How much cardio are you doing?

You need to increase this  and make sure you’re in a calorie deficit.

Use an online calculator to work out your BMR (minimum cals to maintain organ/breathing function) Then your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure including exercise) then you can take 200-400 cals from this number to get your calorie deficit.

Loads of calculators online for calculating calorie deficit to lose weight

Post # 6
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2018

So I had a similar amount of weight to lose – 15kgs in total and I have 2kgs to go, so I’ve lost 13kgs in total.

Firstly, don’t stress (if anything because stress hormones actually cling on to weight, making it harder to shift) – it’s 100% possible to lose a significant amount of weight in 60 days! 

For plateaus, the only thing I’ve found to work is to almost do a 5:2 diet approach. So for one or two days, drastically reduce your calories. It is not healthy or sustainable to do it long term so I would never suggest doing it for longer than that but for me, this has helped ‘jolt’ my system and the weight starts coming off again. Again, not long term and I don’t do this every week – just when I hit a plateau.

A couple of other tips: make sure you really are accurate with your calorie counting/ intake. Whenever I wasn’t losing weight, I found it’s because I was simply guestimating what calories I was eating and therefore eating far more than I thought I was!

Secondly, do not take into account any exercise you are doing. There have been dozens of studies proving that exercise has very little effect on weight loss (and yes, this includes cardio). The only way to lose weight is to reduce your calorie intake. This isn’t to say you shouldn’t do exercise as something that I found out is that if you are more toned, you will look better than you do at a lower weight without any muscle definition (I found this out the hard way!). I always think of it as diet shrinks your body but exercise shapes it. 

Hope this helps and good luck!

Post # 7
Hostess
3489 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

shelly30 :  If you don’t weight train already, pick that up immediately.  There are lots of great free programs on Bodybuilding.com that I used when I was getting started, or you could hire a coach (I work with a coach that trains women for bikini competitions) if you want a customized plan (be wary of Beachbody “coaches” who are not required to have any personal training or nutritional education).  Building muscle will help give you a great shape and will help you burn more fat like PP said. 

Eliminating dairy, gluten, and sugar (except natural sugar, like fruit) always helps me drop weight and debloat.  Drink LOTS of water too.  That will help you realize when you’re actually hungry vs. thirsty, debloat, and generally keep things moving.  

Post # 8
779 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

You could be losing fat but gaining more muscle which weighs more, pay attention to the inches you lose not the scale. 

Post # 9
44 posts
Newbee

shelly30 : Nutritionist here.

Hitting a platue is very common – you’re not alone! My best advice would be to seek out a nutritionist (in person or online is fine). They will be able to give you individualized tips, which is key when you can’t seem to shake the extra weight. It’s hard to give advice when I don’t know what you’re eating or what your routine looks like. 

With that said, I’m a big proponent of intermediate fasting. I find that it works for a lot of people (but not all!). Basically, only drink black coffee when you get up and don’t eat “breakfast” or any food until 10:30 or so. Without getting into the science behind it, your body will be forced to use fat stores for energy (even simple things like typing an email or thinking) since it doesn’t have any dinner left over to use as fuel. You may also find that, throughout the day, you eat less than you otherwise would.

Post # 10
Hostess
11657 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

I’ve recently lost 30lbs (about 15kgs) and it took me about 6 months.

eat more veggies, all veggies.

check out Spencer Naldosky on Facebook and Instagram, Jordan Syatt is also great.

Spencer (an MD) has some great meal templates to help you figure out what to eat and how much.

if you’re not losing (and have no medical conditions) you’re taking in more than you’re burning. It’s so easy to under estimate calorie intake and over estimate output.

Post # 11
276 posts
Helper bee

shelly30 :  track your macros, cut out processed foods and refined sugars, stick to eating healthy and make sure you are taking in enough calories. Don’t crash diet. Keep doing working out and weight train. Also, take pictures and measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn’t move as much as we would like but we still make progress. 

Post # 12
1118 posts
Bumble bee

Drink a ton of water and tea.  No soda (diet or regular) or alcohol.  Push lean proteins (seafood, chicken, lean turkey, tofu), eat a lot of vegetables, and avoid starches and carbohydrates after noon.  Take a B complex vitamin to jumpstart your metabolism each morning.  Keep exercising, do a balance of weight training and high intensity cardio.  

Post # 13
1288 posts
Bumble bee

Don’t give up! It’s great you have decided to make changes, but I am not a fan of deadlines like weddings or other events for losing weight. Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifelong process. Giving yourself a deadline is going to discourage and demotivate you. You should be very proud of the progress you have made. You are going to be beautiful on your wedding day! Don’t let an aribitrary deadline steal your happiness. 

Post # 14
425 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

So I had a baby 3 years ago and struggled to take off the last 10 pounds.  Since November I have been doing HIIT 5-6 days/week.  I thought that would help.  It definitely helped me build muscle but I saw no change in my weight.  Finally, I started running again.  Just 2 days/week running and 3 days of HIIT.  Now after 2 months of this routine the weight is starting to come off.  Running is making a huge difference. I recommend that anyone who is serioud about shedding weight pick up running- just 2 days a week will give you results.

Post # 15
1250 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Since you have already lost weight you need less calories to maintain your weight.  Therefore reduce your calories further by eating vegetables, cutting processed foods and drinking water.  You might want to try fasting one day each week.  Drink only fluids for 24 to 36 hours.  But if you do this be vigilant that you are not eating more on the days you resume eating.  Keep a food diary and write down everything you eat. And yes you can exercise when you are fasting.  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors