(Closed) 6000.00$ budget and 90 People. Thoughts??

posted 6 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Is this realistic?
    yes : (48 votes)
    79 %
    no : (13 votes)
    21 %
  • Post # 3
    9677 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

Sure…it just depends.  Where are you wanting to have it at and what kind of wedding do you want? 

You’re probably not going to have a formal black tie wedding in NYC or any large city on that budget but there are plenty of people who have done with this amount or less.

I’d write down your top priorities or rank things in order of importance and focus money into those areas.  And then get creative with ones that don’t matter to you as much.

Post # 4
    9181 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

With an inexpensive dress (pre-owned, bridesmaid, prom, non-wedding gown, Chinese), no expensive photographer (student or friends), a laid back buffet meal, and an iPod or friend’s DJ/band, you can totally do this!

Post # 5
    2622 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

This is possible, but you will have to do things a certain way that may or may not match your initial expectations.

You need to find a free or cheap venue that will allow you to bring in your own caterer so you can and find catering in your price range.  Maybe pasta and salad, for a reasonable and some wine only. 

Are you able to DIY anything? Are you in the same locale as the wedding will be? Do you have any spare time? 

Post # 6
    246 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

What state are you in? Reason I am asking is some state’s venues are MUCH higher than others.

That is about what I will have invested in my total wedding. You will definitely have to cut corners and be FRUGAL. I have done so and I still have had room for extras. (Although Catering will be done by my bro in law to save money and Ill pay him $100 on top of food costs, dress was $850, groom already has suit “he WANTED a suit and not tux”, my venue is only $500, I had faux flower arrangements made along with my bouques $250 and had 12 kissing balls made…everything was CUSTOM made to how I explained I wanted, etc). I can give you ALOT of tips if wanted…just didnt wanna get all up in your business. These were just a few ways I cut corners although I have linen napkins, bling napkin rings, silver beaded charger plates, red satin overlay for cake table, custom lastname made of wooden letters and decorated in my theme this was $150 by itself, photowall, etc. You can still get all the good stuff as long as you wait for a deal to happen!

It is really possible but it depends on what are your musts for the wedding? Like do you HAVE to have glass plates, bowls, glasses, etc or will chargers work with clear plastic plate on top with plastic champagne flutes and clear plastic cups.

Post # 7
    2863 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Depending on where you live it is totally do-able. 

Post # 9
    353 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

You can absolutely do it.   Mine was more but I’m well aware of where we splurged and could have absolutely cut costs without taking much away from the day.

– skip the DJ, use an ipod playlist (savings of anywhere from 1-3k)

– do your own flowers (I spent $400 – the cheapest florist quote I got was for $1200 – and that was for 6 bouquets, 5 bouts, and 15 tables, you could absolutely do less)

– search Craiglist and the classifieds for decor, and Etsy for jewelry and accessories, or use decor you already have.  I used old photos of our family members going back to the 1800’s as table decor – people seemed to love them, and it only cost 59 cents for the prints from shutterfly, and 99 cent frames from Ikea.  We also got bulk candles from Ikea. 

– do heavy apps instead of a full meal

– buy your own alcohol if your venue allows it

– skip the cake, or just get a small cake for you 2 and regular desserts/cupcakes for the guests

– negotiate with your venue and caterer to save money anywhere you can

– don’t get talked in to “upgrades” like chiavari chairs or chair covers – seriously, no one except you will notice or care what their asses are resting on.

Post # 12
    5886 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

You might not be able to have the traditional hotel ballroom wedding, but it will be doable. I would look into having a favorite restaurant cater it or have a late night heavy appetizer/dessert wedding.

Post # 14
    1408 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

It will be very very difficult in Chicago but anything can be done!! You will have to be very strict with your budget and probably do the florals yourself. Youll definately have to cut back on a lot but if that is your budget, youll make it happen! Look at Friday or Sunday weddings, most venues are cheaper on those days as compared to a Saturday wedding. Also, check out the classifieds for a lot – including wedding dresses. And if possible, keep the wedding party small! Good luck! 

Post # 15
    2390 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

What does your budget include?  Everything?  Rings, dress, honeymoon?

Post # 16
    9677 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

@brideanjeza:  

Most expensive things are generally the reception (venue rental, food, alcohol, and any tables/chairs/linens rentals) and the photography.

So I would look for somewhere where you can bring in your own caterer and alcohol (so this eliminates hotel ballrooms).  This will save you a lot.  I would start planning with this because this will take up the largest chunk of your budget.

If you want to save on photography hire a student or hire someone for reduced hours (3 hours for example).

The biggest area you can save is in decor IMO.  DIY your own flowers or do something else entirely.  Flowers end up being way more expensive then anyone thinks in the beginning.  Make your own centerpieces, using candles or whatever.  Buy flowers in bulk online if you want to use some.

You could look for an inexpensive DJ or do an iPod one.  If you have a family member who is willing do man the iPod then you can go that route. 

Easiest thing would be to make your own cupcakes instead of a cake.

Look for one of those $17 for $70 groupons for Vistaprint.  Use that for your invites.  Or create your own and have them printed

If you can do it in your state, have a friend marry you.  Don’t pay for an officiant.

Get rid of anything unneccessary.  No limo.  No favors (certainly nothing that costs over $100).  No one will remember any of this except you.

Look for your dress as a preowned one, or you can order a replica (a lot of others on here have done that).  Otherwise, you can try places like Macys, Nordstroms, or JCrew…they often have simple dresses that are sometimes cheaper than going to a salon.

If you don’t want a Saturday night wedding a lot of people save money by having a brunch wedding or only cake/punch reception.  This wasn’t for me because I like to party so I’m paying more to have a Saturday night one.  But if that sounds good to you, it’s easy to save money by doing it on a Friday or Sunday or having it during the morning/day.

The topic ‘6000.00$ budget and 90 People. Thoughts??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors