(Closed) 630 days and counting… Am I insane?

posted 8 years ago in March 2012
Post # 3
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

I say if you got the time and know what you want then DO IT!

DIY projects can add up and take alot of time so I’d think the sooner they can be done the less stressful it’ll be down the road.

My Caution would be: Make sure your colors/theme are what you REALLY REALLY want b/c that would be terrible to put in the $$ and time and then you not want to use what you’ve done.

Otherwise I started planning as soon as I could.

Post # 4
814 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

it’s totally okay to start. just know that you may make some projects that don’t fit in at a later date.. but thats okay!

Post # 5
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I think I would wait a bit for big things.  I had a long engagement too and I changed my mind a lot leading up to the wedding.  If you are sure that you won’t change your mind on the little stuff, then go for it.

Post # 6
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

lol I’m around 610 days into an engagement that doesnt end for another 300 and something. YOU CAN DO IT!! My best advice would be not to do too many of your big things too far ahead of time. Your tastes may change and you may come up with different ideas. 

That being said I’d research some vendors and get pricing info so you can put together what kinds of things you think you like and save up. The BEST part of a long engagement is having tons of time to save up for what you really want.

Post # 7
866 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I think browsing, gathering inspiration, and figuring out certain details — budget, general location, number of guests — is perfectly fine. I’m enjoying the no-pressure part of planning at the moment, and probably will book a venue and start gown shopping beginning in August or September (for our Jan 2012 wedding).

If you’re not sure about colors, atmosphere, or style, I would wait a little while before starting the projects: will you love them in a year? Where will you store them? What if you see something new on Martha? Haha.

Post # 8
284 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I remember being at the 8 hundred mark….read a lot of magazines.  Put ideas together.  A lot can change.  We changed our minds on many things.  Luckily we’ve had things to do that I focused on such as moving in together and getting a puppy.  Is there something big coming up you can focus on?

Post # 9
59 posts
Worker bee

LOL I’m a March 2012 bride too!!! 🙂 So I am inclined say no it’s not too early to start thinking and planning and working on DIY projects! I’m crazy with the planning stuff and and like to be on top of things. We have our venue, caterer, theme, colors, decorations, programs, invitations, save the date cards, rsvp cards, thank you cards, even honeymoon all planned/picked out!… like I said I’m crazy with the planning. Not that I feel I’m bridezilla with everything needing to be perfect- I just like to know what to expect. The good thing with planning ahead of time, like some people pointed out, is that it’s way easier to get everything paid for.. some money here and there def seems a lot more managable then lots of money down all at once. Also, it lets you work on coordinating things better such as wedding to honeymoon dates, and themes and venues… Also, some advice I read in Martha Stewart’s magazine… it’s best to plan as much as you can– little things do count– but by the time the wedding comes you should just let go and let things happen (something like that anyway) meaning, I think, plan as much as you can now and work out as many little details as you can now, so that by the time the wedding comes you can just have fun. 🙂

Post # 10
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m a June 2012 bride! We’re planning some things now because during the school year between work and my degree, I don’t have much time to plan. I love the laid back pace of a long engagement, although some days I wish we could just be married already.

I think it’s really important to know your personality when planning. Everyone makes changes, but are you going to be really unhappy if you lock in a venue 1 1/2 years out and hear of one that you like better? Will you be able to stop looking at dresses after you buy one? 

Right now, I rarely search out ideas. If I see something I like, I take note of it. But we have made some major decisions (like venue) which I am really happy about – not only are we locking in a good rate, but it’s a place we both adore and it books up fast. 

Post # 11
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Im in the same boat- we were thinking January 2012, but we wanted more time to save, so we pushed it back…I want to start doing things, too- you’re not alone! 🙂

@franciebrady1 – I love your name! That book is one of my favorites of all time! 

Post # 12
3281 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

557 days to go! hahaha….we oringinally planned for june ’12 but we moved it up! yay

im pretty sure time will fly!!!

Post # 13
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I started with 2 years to go and am very happy that I did. Though I would be careful about starting DIY projects and making too many decor purchases as you likely will change your mind once or twice. I would start hunting venues and photographers first and try to secure contracts ahead of time. Thats what I did, we got the current year’s lower rates and options to make payments for a long time which has been amazingly helpful!

Good luck and congrats!

Post # 14
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011 - The Tribute Golf Club

Our engagement will be 755 days by the time we get married, and DIY projects helped me pass the time.  Doing mock ups of stuff like invites won’t be too costly (if you’re only buying samples that are normally one or 2 things) even if you do change your mind. 

There were some vendors that we booked in June & Aug 09 for our April 11 wedding, but we had done a couple months of research before making that decision.  Everything else we have slowly booked or made along the way. Good luck and happy planning!

Post # 15
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2013

I have started buying and reserving whatever I can get my hands on, I doubt I would change my mind. If you feel this is what you want and you have alot of DIY projects to do…. I would say why wait : )

The topic ‘630 days and counting… Am I insane?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors