(Closed) 6.5 Years & Going

posted 8 years ago in Waiting
  • poll: How long should High School Sweat Hearts date once out of High School?
    10 Years : (11 votes)
    15 %
    5 Years : (25 votes)
    35 %
    Move on after 5 : (27 votes)
    38 %
    Move on after 10 : (8 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 3
    1498 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

@Kimsicle: Is Jan 2013 an estimated date?

Post # 4
    1986 posts
    Buzzing bee

Have you ever discussed marriage? Kids? Finances? 5 year plan?

Post # 6
    8738 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

My Fiance and I dated 6.5 years before getting engaged.

We met in college and I was in college the first 2.5 years we dated (one of those years long distance as he graduated before me).

We lived apart 1 year after graduating college, and then lived together 3 years before he finally proposed.

You do a LOT of growing up between HS, college, and your first years of working life.

We really did a lot of our maturing and becoming a solid couple after moving in together.

I do know people who dated for shorter periods and got engaged quicker, but they also started dating when they were older.

I think age and the experiences you’ve had has a lot to do with how long it takes you to be ready.

I am now 26 (was 19 when we started dating) and I have changed a LOT as has Fiance. We’ve gone through those changes and still are a  strong couple and are confident that getting married is the best thing.

Post # 7
    1498 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

@Kimsicle: Gotcha!!! 🙂

Well as long as you are fine with it there is no set answer of how long is too long!

Post # 9
    10366 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

@Kimsicle: “we” don’t discuss marriage? If that’s worrying you, I take that to mean that you’re waiting for him to bring it up, and just quietly being upset about it. It is 100% your responsibility to bring it up if it is something you want. You have to be able to communicate about things as important as that – marriage is alllll about communication on every level.

Post # 10
    1986 posts
    Buzzing bee

@Kimsicle: That talk is lloooong overdue, IMO.

Post # 11
    1046 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

Hmm…after 6.5 years I’d be very concerned about not having marriage conversations yet, esp. since you already live together. For me, I had to know we were getting married before living together b/c the pain of a break-up after sharing your life like that is just too painful. For me, being together for more than 3 years without planning for a wedding would have been too long. With high school, it’s obviously different, but I would expect that if I was with the same person though all of college (so let’s say 4 more years), I’d want to get married after that.

Post # 12
    8738 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

@Kimsicle: You need to talk about marriage. Especially now that you are living together. If being married is something you want, you need to talk about it.

I told my Fiance (then bf) before we moved in together that I agreed we needed to live together before getting married, but that I wanted to be married at some point and I didn’t want to be a “live-in” girlfriend forever.

Post # 13
    6892 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2012

I agree. That talk is something most couples have had at least a few times in 6.5 years. We aren’t HS sweethearts, but we are College sweethearts. We talked about marriage as well as finances, kids, careers. But marriage was included. You don’t have to wait for him to bring it up, it’s your relationship too.

Post # 14
    714 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

@Kimsicle:  I guess I’m just confused as to why you would agree to move in with a man you’ve never discussed the future with? 

Post # 15
    2825 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I think ya’ll have been together long enough (out of highschool) that talking about marriage would be the next logical step… But that said it is different for every relationship.

I would definitely bring up marriage at this point.

Post # 16
    7695 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

There really is no “should” amount of time for this. However I will say that at that age you are so young that you could change a lot. I have a friend who dated her now husband since they were 16 and they waited until they had been together 9.5 years before tying the knot! So they had been out of high school for 8 years (they were 26 and 27 when they got married) I dont think 23 is too young to get married especially if you have been dating for that long.

The topic ‘6.5 Years & Going’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors