(Closed) 7 1/2 weeks pregnant…first ultrasound showed only yolk sac :(

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
6526 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

lauroo:  think positive. it might just be too early to see anything at all. when I went for my first u/s I thought I was about 7 weeks and it turned out I was only 5 weeks which would explain why they couldn’t see anything on the u/s. I went back in a week for bloodwork to see if my hcG was increasing, and they were, and by the time i went back we were able hear a heartbeat!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for yoU!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  .
Post # 3
1423 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Sorry to hear that, I can’t imagine having to wait until Monday!  But, you might have just ovulated later than you thought, so there’s still every reason to hope for the best.

P.S. Walk away from the Google — nothing but trouble!

Post # 4
1674 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Waldorf Astoria, Chicago

lauroo:  Try not to stress out, it’s honestly most likely the case that you ovulated later than you thought and the baby is just 6 weeks along, not 7.5 like you thought. 

Post # 5
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - hotel

The odds are in your favour. All the stress of a wedding is bound to delay ovulation. I know its easy to say to try not to worry, but you can’t do anything to alter the outcome. So try to be kind to yourself and keep busy. Pregnancy involves a lot of waiting, the early days are the worst. You’ll get through this, I promise. 

Post # 7
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

My cycle was very regular (31-32 days usually), so I expected to be 9w2d at my dating ultrasound. Baby only measured 7w3d. I am 17wks now and things have been progressing well! Just wanted to share my story of ovulating late and baby measuring behind what you expect. Sounds like the same has happened to you! Do you chart and do you know when you ovulated for sure? I wasnt charting so my dating estimation was just from an internet site. Congratulations by the way, on your baby and your marriage!!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  jbbird.
Post # 9
2699 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

Ultrasound is an art…not a science. Don’t stress this. I have had SO many friends go through this. You can have delayed implantation, delayed ovulation. Basically a million different things and a few weeks at this stage is a VERY small difference for the tech to notice. RELAX and STAY off the internet…you will upset yourself unbelievably symptom spotting is the DEVIL. 

Post # 10
190 posts
Blushing bee

This sort of happened to me 3 years ago.  I went in at 5w6d, no fetal pole, no heartbeat…just a black sac on the transvaginal u/s.  Doctor was super banch and tried to scare the crap out of me…oh and my sac was oblong shaped, not round (but to be honest I can’t recall ever seeing a round sac, I thought most were oblong)…she said it looked like a miscarriage (and that the sac will stretch out to get ready to exit the cervix).  Told me, in these exact words “you could flip a coin, 50 chance miscarriage 50 chance it sustains”.  She also said that since the heart should’ve started beating by then, it didn’t look good. There was zero empathy whatsoever.  That was the worst week of my life!  Went back at 7w1d, little heart was fluttering away. That sac is now a wild toddler running through the house that just pooped in the bathroom floor lol

Don’t worry.  I honestly think they don’t know as much about early pregnancy as what they claim. The u/s tech should’ve known to do a transvaginal to begin with!  Think about it–many women don’t even know they’re pregnant that early, and if they do, a lot of doctors won’t see you until 8 weeks.  That’s an iffy time too.  A lot happens in those first few weeks.  I knew exactly when I had ovulated so mine was fairly accurate…but if it’s off by even a couple days you won’t see much.  Don’t stress 🙂 STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET!!! That amplified everything x100! Just focus on your wedding, everything will be okay!

Post # 11
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2017

Im sending positive thoughts for the best outcome for you!

Post # 12
315 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Don’t stress, lady! My first u/s showed only a sac at six weeks. They had me come in a week later and everything was as it should have been. You probably just ovulated late – especially with last minute wedding stress! Hope everything works out.

Post # 13
783 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

I went to my first u/s thinking I was 7.5 weeks, and they said I was 6.5 weeks. Plenty of others have had the same thing happen. Sometimes we are just off, but everything is still coming along as it should. If you really are as early as they think I’m sure it’s normal that they saw only the sac at that point. That’s still pretty early. Worrying will not help any (easier said than done).. you need to try to enjoy your wedding for now! It will come and go so fast and you will want to remember it as a positive happy day!

Post # 15
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

lauroo:  any update? Hope the wedding went well! 🙂

The topic ‘7 1/2 weeks pregnant…first ultrasound showed only yolk sac :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors